Lookin at starting a 60g or 100+g cube

Surfnut

I've a project forming; The the plan is in it's infancy. My current thoughts are regarding the lighting. I'd love some input on this. If I do the 60g, 2x2x2, Is a large number of T5's going to allow me to grow interesting, and colorful, sps corals? My biggest concern in this penetration depth of this type of lighting. Also, has LED lighting gotten the bugs worked out of it yet? Also, does it still cost your first born to get a 2' or 3' apparatus?

If I go with the 100+g cube, 3x3x2, the same questions apply as to the previous topic. My only concerns with this and the previous light setup is the price to run and possibly the weight since I have recently moved into a sub-floor home in the mountains. Not a mobile home thank the gods; A well built all wood sub-floor home. I believe the home sits on a bed of 2x12's set 18" on center.

I'm also wondering if I need to run my well water run through an r/o unit. We've had the water tested and there is nothing in the way of heavy metals or copper. It looks as though our well may be fed partially by a natural spring located on the property. I didnt have the previous test run for nitrates, nitrites, or phosphates. I plan on getting that done in the next few days.

I'd also like to know if either glass or plexi is going to sweat at cold-water temperatures needed to keep a medium sized cold-water species of octopus.

Any input into these topics would be appreciated....

stonedfish

I have a 60g cube. I love it. Im running the Current Sundial T5s. I wish I had two of them. Your light coverage from front to back can sometimes be a Problem. It doesnt seem like enough wattage. But my first SPS, a montipora has doubled in size in about two months. Other than that I just have some LPS and Softies. The problem I have is the sump space. I havent upgraded yet. If you can get the bigger tank you will have more options. Good luck man. Either way you will have a cool tank.

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 30

deaclauderdale

If you have the proper number (6-8) of T-5's you can keep certain SPS. I would run my well water through an RO/DI but that's really my personal preference as i prefer to avoid some of the nagging issues that can occur using unfiltered water. In regards to the sweating question I believe you have to use like 1inch acrylic to avoid this issue. Steve Weast has an awesome cold water tank etuphttp://oregonreef.com/sub_coldwater.htm check it out to get more of your questions answered.

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
I think cube tanks are some of the nicest and easy design with lot's of flow through a closed loop. I have a 110g cube 30x30x32 that I bought used.

I am thinking of making a new one at 32x32x25 or so with 5 holes in the back panel for CL returns and 1 in the bottom for the CL drain. I also like the idea of an external overflow box.

For lighting my current cube has 2x250w MH with 2x24w T5's. You should be able to get some good SPS growth and color with an 8-10 bulb set up using high quality bulbs but after about 18" the intensity will be drop. I love T5's but still think MH gives a lil more POP to the colors. I'm not sold on LED's at all. Every tank I have seen in person looks dim and the corals look bad. You still have heat issues as well with the LED fixtures.

WOW I just noticed this will be a cold water set up?? What type of SPS do you plan on having?

Surfnut

After doing some research I'm actually thinking of starting out with a California Coastal Tank. Considering the low cost of running a cold water system I've decided to go with a tank 4'x4'x3' made of 1" plexi. It's been years since I've gone diving; Should be a fun experience collecting my own specimens. I'm not sure if we have any true cold water sps here, tho I hope to find a few.

I've also toyed around with the idea of doing a 2'x8' Tall tank, perhaps a tube tank, for a Mini Kelp Forest Setup. If either or both of these tanks comes to fruition I'll build a nice mixed cold water reef setup. Pair all these systems with deep blue actinic t5 setup for a nice effect. Perhaps a bright white on a separate switch for odd occasions.

Thank you all for your input so far.