lookie what I bought from the LFS

EricShane

hey yall.. I went to the LFS last week, and I bought a new torch coral, it struck my eye as soon as I walked in and Usually when something does that, I want it. Anyways, I looked around for a while, and I bought it... 70 bucks it has about 9 branches on it. When I bought it, it was a kind of a puke green color with white tips.

I took it home, did what I needed to do... when I added it, it seemed normal like it normaly was... other than with my lights it brought more color out, including a dark lavender color.. and so I go on about my business, well tonight when I came home from work, this thing looks amazing... Like its having "A Good Hair Day" lol.. Its Twice the size it normaly is, and its moving and waving like crazy.. I think its Happy!

I took a picture, but you cant see it well, I have a cheap little dumb webcam, that I stretched over to take the picture.

torch.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Looks good! Better watch those gotta have it buys! LOL
Who am I kiddin, I'm the same way!!!

Looks good! I have one in my tank also that I just fragged. This thing had like thirteen heads on it! I sold some to Reefaholic and I kept a few myself. And even after fragging it, the main piece looked as if I had never touched it. This is one coral that I have found to grow extremely fast. Tanner

Gina

RS STAFF
EricShane said:
yeah, im happy with it.. I Bought it with my birthday money. It was 70 bucks, is that normal?

You might get it a little cheaper from an on line vendor or another reefer but, from the prices that I have seen at other LFS, I would say that's about right.

Diddo Gina! I would say prices normally range in LFS's anywheres between $55 and $75. So $70 isn't a bad price especially for a really nice one. Tanner

EricShane

well, I woke up this morning and one of the things on it died.. I think, not sure, you cant hardly tell though. Oh well, Its to be expected I guess... But other than that, its still fine.

EricShane

Gina said:
What makes you think it died? Is it completely gone or shrunken?
well, one of the heads shrunk up and turned spider webby, and blew off im guessing. Now its just the skelaton of where it was. But you cant hardly even tell, because there are so many other heads on there.

EricShane

baja_01 said:
Be on the look out for brown jelly.
um why? what is it?

- and... I havent noticed any, since that happened.. all I noticed is that my clownfish nipped off a piece of one of the polyps, with about 10 hands on it, really tiny.. it landed in the sand and is still living so far, after a couple days.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brown Jelly is a bacterial infection composed of opportunistic protozoans and other microorganisms digesting coral tissue. Brown Jelly usually begins at the site of an injury. Brown Jelly can be noticed by what look like brown filaments, or brown/brownish, somewhat transparent masses floating over and above a coral, usually enjoining the polyps of the coral into the mass. This infection can progress rapidly. It can spread through out a system or just infect one coral.
If you notice even a small amount of brownish matter hovering close to a coral polyp you should immediately inspect and treat the coral or the polyps will rapidly disintegrate and more than likly infect other corals as the pathogen is sent streaming throughout your system.

Bubble Coral, Goniopora, Elegance coral, Frogspawn and other Euphyllia corals, Xenia and Anthellia are some of the corals highly susceptible to this pathogen.

Treatment For Brown Jelly
*GENTLY Siphon as much as the Jelly Mass as Possible
*Remove infected coral and treat with an Iodine Solution like Lugols Solution.
*make sure that your corals have adequate flow. Not laminar, but multi-directional and random
*Skim, Poly pads, Activated Carbon are recommended
*25% water change.
*check parameters