Look what I just bought

mps9506

I had to show it off :)
I saw it and couldn't pass it up, I can't wait for it to get here....
379RMD01070115.jpg

AKA Acropora austera (Miyagi Tort)

mps9506

livingreef2004 said:
wow that is sweet good find hope you didnt have to mortgage the house for that one

Not quite, but it wasn't cheap....

should be acclimating by weds morn, I hope :)
There was a yellow austera also for the same price, I was close to buying both...

Mike ,
Did your colony make it OK?
I've heard sps colonies dont do so well in shipping.
Also, are you happy with ReeferMadness?
I am thinking of buying some stuff from them...
Matt

mps9506

So far so good. It is a huge colony, they weren't exagerating when they said 8". I usually buy smaller aquacultured colonies or frags, but I couldn't pass on this.
It is still to early to tell how it will do in the long run.
It had some tissue recession on the bottom the first night after I epoxied it to the rock (the fourth day I had it). Got scared started thinking of fragging. But it stopped. It looks healthy otherwise, starting to brown up a little bit which is ok with me, at least it is healthy.
The polyps are still bright blue.
It didn't get the best lit spot in my tank however, the other prime locations were already taken :(. It will def. have brown areas on the colony because of this.

mps9506

I fraged a few branches to open it up some so the bottom of the colony could get some light. It is apparently a pretty good grower as if has encrusted a nice base already. There were some spots that started to STN the second week I had it, but it stopped, those spots are still bare, but hopefully will grow back over.
It's lost a little color, but hopefully when I get my lighting straightened back out and some more phosban it should get better. It is more of a blueberry smoothie purple now than blue.

Brucey

mps9506 said:
There was a yellow austera also for the same price, I was close to buying both...
Hi Mikey . . . . what happened. Did common sense overwhelm the desire to over spend on the reef. . . . . . blimey. That's unheard of in my household.
:)
Brucey

mps9506

Brucey said:
Hi Mikey . . . . what happened. Did common sense overwhelm the desire to over spend on the reef. . . . . . blimey. That's unheard of in my household.
:)
Brucey

LOL.
Not really I am about to spend $400 in corals this week, No common sense here.
I don't remember why I didn't buy the yellow to tell the truth. I kinda wish I did now. Maybe I'll get lucky and trade a piece of purple for a peice of yellow.