Longnose Filefish anyone???

Mr.Reeefer

Anyone own a longnose filefish?

Just wanted to pic at anyone's brain who has had one for a while as information is limited on these fish. I know there is one guy who has managed to breed them and has written a book which can be purchased from somewhere.

I have one and would like to increase this fishes chance of survival, so if anyone has been able to keep one long term, please share!!!

ma77301985

Best of luck!
I always get filefish at the beach after a huge storm, but never a long nose one. Any chance you have a pic of it?

Mr.Reeefer

7d0ea1bacf2f4bbb5559f8bf6855fbbb_zpse171ecda.jpg

This isn't mine, I just uploaded it of the net, I can take a pic of mine later, but same fish to give you an idea.

Mr.Reeefer

I purchased it about a month ago, I had no idea what it was, but I loved the look of this fish.

I asked my LFS about the fish, and they told me to just feed it frozen mysis and you'll be fine. I came home acclimatized it and researched it, DAMN YOU was my reaction.

ReefApprentice

A few helpful articles:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/12/success-harlequin-filefish-oxymonacanthus-longirostris/
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2010/08/feeding-your-harlequin-filefish.html
Don't remember if either of these mentions it but I read a magazine article on these guys awhile back and read that you might have success with covering a dead SPS coral skeleton with a gel freeze it then adding it to the tank. Sucks to hear how you acquired this fish though, they are mildly hard to care for due to their diet. Hope you can make the best of this.
edit; does this LFS have any type of a return policy. Also take what ever a LFS employee says with a decent size of salt. Also believe it is aka a harlequin filefish.

Mr.Reeefer

What's going on Brock?

Hey Greg,

how are you mate? Long time no communication.....

What isn't happening is the question mate, I have 2 QT's going, my 140L and the 250 is cycling, plus frags coming out of my ears, so I have been really busy, and I don't see things slowing down for a while.

What about yourself, you and the family good?

I haven't stopped past your thread for a while to see your tanks progress, I will do that tonight, I have only been jumping on occasionally and stop past jan's and wrangy's threads briefly.

the more time I spend on here the more I upset people, so occasional browsing is best for me I think lol.

Oh yeah I also purchased a fish a little while ago that is pretty much destined for death in most home aquariums, so I thought I would start this thread to see if there are any success stories that could help me and my new friend out, I have done allot of reading on the internet, but like I stated there isn't too much out there.

Akshay

Tried one long long ago..... was having pellets at the LFS. But in my tank had major feeding problems! Wouldn't eat a thing. Got him back to the LFS and he was eating pellets again! Dont ask.. was completely fumbled! Maybe it had something to do with being kept in a group of filefish.. I dont know, but by far one of the strangest fish experiences I have had.

DaveK

I've tried a longnose file fish twice, I think. This was quite a few years ago. I didn't get very far with them. They are usually extremely difficult to feed. I'd say you might have a chance today of keeping one, but it is low. Since you already have the fish, you might as well give it a try. You might get lucky and it will eat for you.

Mr.Reeefer

Tried one long long ago..... was having pellets at the LFS. But in my tank had major feeding problems! Wouldn't eat a thing. Got him back to the LFS and he was eating pellets again! Dont ask.. was completely fumbled! Maybe it had something to do with being kept in a group of filefish.. I dont know, but by far one of the strangest fish experiences I have had.

Yeah that's Wierd!

Mr.Reeefer

I've tried a longnose file fish twice, I think. This was quite a few years ago. I didn't get very far with them. They are usually extremely difficult to feed. I'd say you might have a chance today of keeping one, but it is low. Since you already have the fish, you might as well give it a try. You might get lucky and it will eat for you.

Yeah that's pretty much what I have been reading, then even good eaters can someday just stop eating apparently.
I'm going to make a go of it, then the rest is just my luck I think

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Everything is well here Brock, glad to see you checking in. No real news on my tank, it is just slowly moving along. I've never owned a file fish and after reading all this, I won't plan on it either. Beautiful fish, really bad that they have eating issues like that. You've got a lot going on!!! I'll check your thread!

Mr.Reeefer

A few helpful articles:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/12/success-harlequin-filefish-oxymonacanthus-longirostris/
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2010/08/feeding-your-harlequin-filefish.html
Don't remember if either of these mentions it but I read a magazine article on these guys awhile back and read that you might have success with covering a dead SPS coral skeleton with a gel freeze it then adding it to the tank. Sucks to hear how you acquired this fish though, they are mildly hard to care for due to their diet. Hope you can make the best of this.
edit; does this LFS have any type of a return policy. Also take what ever a LFS employee says with a decent size of salt. Also believe it is aka a harlequin filefish.

Thanks for the articles mate.

Generally I take my iPad with me when purchasing fish, I actually went to purchase a blue tang and they didn't have any so I was looking around and spotted the longnose, as I have been stung by LFS's before telling me lies, I specifically asked if this fish is hard to care for, "nah no problem, just feed it mysis" was the response.

I would have returned it, but since I figure that most people wouldn't work hard to keep the fish alive, it's best chance would be with me.

Correct, I think there is even a couple of other names it goes by in different places.

Poseidon11

Maybe it is not that hard, just as you have been told, feeding them mysis maybe sufficient enough. just keep an eye on it and if anything changes, find another plan.