Liverock Question?

Heffe01

I am starting up my tank after christmas, but was recently offered 40#s of liverock at a very good price. I was thinking about buying it and putting it in a rubermaid container with a powerhead. But do I need a light as well? Also, how well would it survive like this for 2 weeks? Would any of the color disappear?

If it is just the rock with some coraline on it you should be fine. It may fade a little bit but not much and will color back up.
If the rock has coral growth on it that is a different story and would need some lighting.
Make sure you check the rock out real well for unwanted stuff like problematic algaes and Aiptasia.

Luukosian

If its just a couple weeks I would just throw a heater and a powerhead in there and it should be fine. Skimmer would be good too if you already have one.

Same as the last post though any photosynthetic stuff will probably die off without light.

charlesr1958

A suggestion if I may? Now would be a great time to get another aquarium, and set it up as a quarantine tank which will allow you to properly care for and observe the live rock as well as helping a great deal to prevent the introduction of parasites and diseases by putting ALL your future pet purchases (corals, fish ect.ect.) through what should be a standard quarantine procedure.

Quarantine Tanks

Chuck

Emg

It is a good idea, but......should coral be put in a QT tank for fish ? What happens if you have to treat for something on the fish ?

new reefer 03

you don ttreat in QT tanks, you treat in hospital tanks :)
QT tank can have LR, and LS. hospital tanks have only an optional PVC pipe, theres a difference ;)

yungreefer2410

most people use qt tanks as "hospital tanks" because thats much easier. every qt tank i have seen has no lr ls only fake decor and pvc. why set-up two when you can use one?...

charlesr1958

I was just trying to stress the fact that a great deal of problems could be avoided if the hobby came to consider a QT an essential, must have piece of equipment when setting up a reef aquarium. Considering the stress that fish, for example, go through during capture and transportation along with being dipped into a number of holding tanks, most of which probably have their own resident parasites, you can make a good bet that the odds of bringing home more than you bargained for are very high. Anything that is wet should be quarantined.
Per a hospital tank, a QT can be used for such purposes if the QT is used as a bare system and not kept running at all times. For the cost of a basic aquarium, a heater, aeration and a little hang on filter (walmart usualy has such setups for about twenty bucks or so), I feel it is not only the cheapest method of prevention, thus saving the lives of many creatures, but also our own best first line of defense. How many of us still battle Ich for example? Why is that? Surely not because all wild fish are infested with it.

Chuck

Mya

I would suggest ...

inspect inspect inspect... for more then just algae too.. look for parasites ... and old sponges that have died ... look in all the cracks and holes... smell the rock too.. make sure it smells right as well..