Live rock vs base rock

Hi folks.
I've just started breaking in my tank with its first cycle on 20kg of live rock.
I feel that aesthetically this is not enough rock for the tank. I have found 2 new suppliers. One with fairly cheap LR and one with cheap base rock.
The LR I have is in superb condition, but I have been told that eventually most of it will die off during this cycle. Considering this, is it worth spending the extra money on more LR, only to have that die off too, during the cycle, or just get the cheaper BR and put that in to be seeded when the existing LR eventually recovers?

cheers

lcstorc

Personally I prefer most if not all LR. The bacteria you desire from the rock does not die during the cycle but instead is fed and grows. Some of the other life does die but the bacteria deep inside is the most important and that will survive. There is nothing wrong with using some base rock as it will be seeded by the LR but I prefer no more than 1/4 to 1/3 base rock if at all possible.

Amphibious

While it's true about the die off, some of what you see will come back after the cycle. As far as base rock vs LR that's up to you. The base rock will be seeded but sometimes rock sold as base isn't as good looking as good LR. It's a toss up and totally up to you.

Dick

chipmunkofdoom2

It's really up to you. Live rock will have a greater diversity of life and look better, but base rock will also be cheaper. If you mix the two, you can get the best of both worlds. I wouldn't go any higher than 50/50 base rock to LR though, and even that might be too much.

Also, if you're up to it, you can check out GARF's web site and learn how to make aragocrete rocks. You can use them instead of base rock and I think I read that stuff costs less than $1 per pound to make!

Varga

I vote base rock. you save a ton of cash and natural resources. I have base rock that looks identical to LR after 5 months in the tank and I paid $1.40 p/lbs

reefmasta

i just bought some bali live rock =) i found a bubbletip anemone on it and some zoas with a couple clavaria on it! i looovvve it. ALSO its loaded with coraline and macroalgae!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
You can use BR but biodiversity will be reduced and since it's not porous like the Pacific LR you usually get you will have nowhere near the surface area for bacteria.

da456789

Base rock can be created instructions at
Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page

In my 210 I will be using base rock about 100-200lbs mixed with another 100-200 lbs of LR.

The base rock I created earlier and used in my 46 was looking almost as good as the live rock before a storm took out the tank.

The key I find in making base rock was using crushed coral to make the rock extremly porus and light. I am using rinsed crushed oyster shells and carib sea sand in this batch and will let you know how it turns out.

My current mix is 5 cups oyster shells - 1 cups sand -- 1 1/2 cups portland cement

The only downside on creating the base rock is the 2-3 month cure time as i tend to make sure I do not get a PH re bound.

Everyone uses base rock as what its suppose to be used for, the base. You can't really see the rock anyways so why use purple coraline covered live rocks that look beatiful? Yes, their already seeded but as time goes by your base rocks will benefit the same. Someone above stated not to go over 50/50which i agree on. You save alot of money going that route!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
You can't really see the rock anyways so why use purple coraline covered live rocks that look beatiful?

The benefits of LR go beyond appearence and if you can afford it I would recommend getting all LR from different locations to increase the biodiversity. If you can't afford it than base rock is an alternative but IMHO it will never be the equivalent.

The benefits of LR go beyond appearence and if you can afford it I would recommend getting all LR from different locations to increase the biodiversity. If you can't afford it than base rock is an alternative but IMHO it will never be the equivalent.

I guess I was thinking in terms as far as individual paying a great amount of money for coraline covered rocks. I'd hate for anyone to dish out good money for something you can't see. I completely understand the benefits of having all live rocks but in this economy I don't think individuals can offered that much live rock. Especially doing a larger tank.

lcstorc

The corraline is not what you are paying for. That you will get with time. I have it covering everything in my tank, not just the rocks. What you want is the biological diversity and you just can't get that from base rock. Some people argue that base rock never becomes truly alive the way true live rock is since true live rock is made from long dead coral skeletons that have built up over long periods of time and have many layers of life.
For my tanks I have used all LR. If I were to do it over I would probably use a combination.

The corraline is not what you are paying for. That you will get with time. I have it covering everything in my tank, not just the rocks. What you want is the biological diversity and you just can't get that from base rock. Some people argue that base rock never becomes truly alive the way true live rock is since true live rock is made from long dead coral skeletons that have built up over long periods of time and have many layers of life.
For my tanks I have used all LR. If I were to do it over I would probably use a combination.

Here in the Bay Area which I think is pretty up there when it comes to saltwater tanks. Some stores do charge higher prices for live rocks that have coralline build up, Purple or maroon color. And those rocks are generally in a display tank. I guess its for the individuals who want a nice tank and don't want to go through the cycle nor time to get the coralline build up. I completely understand the main reason for using LR, but you got to admit having coralline covered rocks as a newbie and not going through a cycle makes it more enjoyable =) Bad part is you do have to pay the price $$$$

Pet peeve: HATE LFS that state their rocks are cured in their bins when their not. I took a salifert ammonia kit with me to show a newbie from our local club that their BS.

Let me clarify. This 'base rock' is actually ex-live rock. It has just been out of the tank for a long time, therefore it is porous and well structured.

I understand that the LR comes with all this beneficial bacteria, however since I have the original LR in the tank wont it seed the BS in a relatively short time, thereby making it live anyway? And considering most of the critters in the LR are likely to die off during cycling anyway, isn't the ex-live rock (base rock) the better option. It provides the surface and structure for the bacteria without paying extra for things that will die anyway?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
but you got to admit having coralline covered rocks as a newbie and not going through a cycle makes it more enjoyable =) Bad part is you do have to pay the price $$$$

Many newbies also don't understand that any fluctuations in water chemistry and all that coralline they paid so much for will be gone in no time...:lol:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Let me clarify. This 'base rock' is actually ex-live rock. It has just been out of the tank for a long time, therefore it is porous and well structured.

This type of LR is preferable IMO but not all BR is ex-LR.

I understand that the LR comes with all this beneficial bacteria, however since I have the original LR in the tank wont it seed the BS in a relatively short time, thereby making it live anyway? And considering most of the critters in the LR are likely to die off during cycling anyway, isn't the ex-live rock (base rock) the better option. It provides the surface and structure for the bacteria without paying extra for things that will die anyway ?

Any surface area will be colonized by bacteria I'm talking about diversity in fauna and alot of it does survive the extreme conditions they go thru even some of the delicate sponges/tunicates,pods,worms etc. even corals !