Live Rock sitting?

SpawnGawn

Ok guys....I am in the process of setting up a new tank and a buddy of mine tore his down about 6 months ago. I spoke with him today and he said I could have 75lbs of his live rock for $25!!! Great deal, or so I thought. This rock has been sitting in his tank for 6 month with no lights on and no circulation. This used to be some of the most purple rock i have ever seen. I am think about soaking it in vinegar and pressure washing it and trying to dry it out. I guess this is the best practice. I'm not sure what to do here. What does everyone suggest? Remember this has been sitting in a tank in stagnant water for 6 months. :(

Thanks guys

SG

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dude, after sitting that long, I'd vinegar clean it, boil it, the let it soak in a tub of water I changed daily for a month with a very powerful powerhead.

...."Fish" Happens!....

I'd rinse those babies off with saltwater and use them as they are, unless they have nuisance algae. Stick it in a bucket and shake it like there's no tomorrow to release debris. Test it if a bit it make sure everything us cool and go from there?

Just curious why the vinegar?

tnwillia

+1^, I'd treat it like "uncured" live rock. Put it in a Brute with SW a pump, heater & skimmer and run it for a month in that then into the tank. Good luck!

SpawnGawn

I'd rinse those babies off with saltwater and use them as they are, unless they have nuisance algae. Stick it in a bucket and shake it like there's no tomorrow to release debris. Test it if a bit it make sure everything us cool and go from there?

Just curious why the vinegar?

Vinegar is what I am using to clean the tank I just got and it seems to be cleaning the tank very well. I just figure it would work the same on the rocks.

Alf

+1^, I'd treat it like "uncured" live rock. Put it in a Brute with SW a pump, heater & skimmer and run it for a month in that then into the tank. Good luck!

^ Same as I would do. But I would do water changes as well every week.

Doogle

Sounds like a quick way to rinse off any nuisance algae and whatnot. Most people brush the rock when curing it.

dmatt88

U could always boil it. Smells bad but does the trick.

........wet floors add character.

Therapy

I'd treat it like "uncured" live rock. Put it in a Brute with SW a pump, heater & skimmer and run it for a month in that then into the tank. Good luck!

^^+1 or 2 or 3

Don't assume everything is dead. I wouldn't be surprised if some amphipods and such survive. Which is a good thing. I wouldn't pressure wash it. Coralline will grow right over the top.

sk8rdn

SpawnGawn said:
what about adding a little bleach? Any thoughts?

You'd just be adding it in the rock to leach out later on in your tank later... I wouldn't.

...."Fish" Happens!....

dmatt88

No bleach. Just heat. Then pull it out n let it sit in the sun n dry.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

kain101

if it did not turn black, rinse it off and throw it in a tank. if it did turn black, put it in some fresh water to kill the bacteria and treat it like base rock

reefermagic

I had a 75 gallon tank that got neglected, due to family medical issues. The live rock sat in the tank with one powerhead for several months, I tore down the tank, put the rock in a 29 gallon with a skimmer and water changes for two weeks, set up a new rsm250. When I put it back in the newly set up tank, there was no cycle and lots of life still in the rock, been running for two months and things couldn't be better. Just my experience, glad I reused the 10 year old rock. It sat with no heater and minimal circulation for a year or so......

I guess I'm not getting the suggestions to kill the rock? Am I missing something?

We've pressure washed rock before and it does indeed clean it well. But if you've used cleaners in the pressure washer, I wouldn't.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
As stated above...no bleach and no detergents. Personally I'm boiling it and treating it as dead rock from scratch. It will take a little longer to start seeing growth on the rock but it will come. My only regret is throwing some LR from the LFS into my tank only to introduce aptasia into my tank.