Live rock need strong light?

Doogle

Will be starting a smaller fowler soon and was wondering if live rock needs a lot of h. O. Light or will any lower power actinic/10,OOOk lights work.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
It really depends on what your wanting to grow on your live rock... live rock can be "live" with no light at all..

....pingpong anyone?....

Doogle

Thanks I will start slow and small. Anemone for a clown would be a nice start if I can do it with a couLpe t8 lights and a little sunshine. I like the brain coral

You may need to consider another light choice for the Nem. Nems are hard to keep long term without the proper light intensity. T5's or metal halides would definitely suffice. You can actually get a pretty cheap TEK T5 supply, depending on how large your tank is.

Doogle

I like t5ho but a also have a coralife normal output t5 that is 14w x 2 and has a daylight and plant light that could be a actinic or something else

Doogle

K I was gonna get aragonite sand lace and maybe tufa/ocean rock as my base rock and buy some live rock to seed it. Then add a shrimp. Later a goby to see the interactions between em. Yay anyways the coralline algae will grow under low light right?

Doogle

?6-12 months with what? Saltwater n live rock? Shrimp a fish? How can you tell if it's ready? Seems like a long time..

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If you plan to get a hosting Anemone then you'll need INTENSE light, 28 watts will not do ! What size tank and what are the dimensions ?

?6-12 months with what?

The Anemone needs a mature stable tank it will not survive in a new setup.

sk8rdn

cheeks69 said:
If you plan to get a hosting Anemone then you'll need INTENSE light, 28 watts will not do ! What size tank and what are the dimensions ?

The Anemone needs a mature stable tank it will not survive in a new setup.

I.e. the bio filtration in the substrate/rocks/algae must be present, healthy, and mature. This is a time thing that can't be rushed or doctored with over the counter products.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

?6-12 months with what? Saltwater n live rock? Shrimp a fish? How can you tell if it's ready? Seems like a long time..

well you can tell like when you don't get any more spikes in ammonia nitrite nitrate (well if a fish dies if will spike nitrate that wll be fine but anyways) like you dont get any more alege blooms and stuff like that.

Built347

I did... temp was wayy too unstable.. - had to nix that idea.. I don't have a chiller tho..

Built347

I regards to when your tank is ready for something fragile like a nems.. there are a lot of contributing factors.. yes you need great lighting.. you tank does need to be extremely stable. And if you were starting from scratch with biofiltration then Yes a year is probably necessary... if you went out and bought all of your rock live essentially your tanks age is much older than it really is... I've witnessed new systems set up with live rock that had no cycle at all.. there was someone that ran into this recently on this forum.. as an example I started my reef tank with 50/50 live and dead rock... my tank did cycle.. fairly quickly IMO.. 3 months later I had 2 condi nems in there.. (Hardy nems). 2 months after that I put in another condi and a long tentacle.. that 4 healthy nems in my tank at 5 months and they are still kicking strong 5 months later... everyone's tanks will progress differently off the start depending on how you start... I agree with everything said previously just as much as I disagree.. these timelines are not set in stone and are highly dependant on your specific situation.. IMO. When your tank is stable you are ready..

Now.. in regards to keeping nems.. in preparing your tank for nems you are essentially setting your tank up for reef.. you will spend hundreds and in some cases thousands on lighting for a reef tank.. which would be wayyyy overkill for a fowlr tank.. I would seriously consider whether you really want nems.. if you must have them and you build your setup accordingly it will no longer be a fowlr.

....pingpong anyone?....

redneckgearhead

AND IMO It's not just about the tank, yes stable parameters and a stable tank are important and that takes time. It's also the age of the "reefer". It gives the reefer time to get in a routine with the tank, water change schedule, testing schedule and all the various other maintenance items, before adding a fragile animal to the mix.