live rock and hitchhikers

nanokeeper

Is it rare to purchase live rock that doesnt have some hitchikers in it? Or how long does it usually take to see any hitch hikers?

Mike Johnson

Where did you get the live rock from? Some fish stores just put dry rock in a tank for a few weeks and sell it as live rock. If you buy live rock from an ocean it would be extremely rare not to have hitchhikers. I had hitchhikers show up for more than two years.

Blndbunny

I have purchased aquacultured live rock that a LFS put in their systems, then sold. They have a huge facility and do a lot of captive breeding for fish and have some of the largest coral colonies I've ever seen. My rock from them had hichhicker. Some very good and some bad, but nothing that couldn't be handled.

For my most recent build I used live rock right out of the ocean, and shipped underwater to preserve as much life as possible. Now I have gotten a load of hitchhikers I don't want. Ther have been a number of tiny gorilla crabs, that as they come out I get rid of them. I had at least two mantis shrimp, maybe more time will tell. However I also got some of the most amazing hitchhickers. My tank is full of sea squirts, various species of bivales, tunacites, pistol shrimp, urchins, sponges, and a variety of corals. Yes I've had to set traps for the ones I don't want. This tank is 6 weeks old and I'm still finding new life. For me that is a large part of the joy of reefing

nanokeeper

I bought the live rock from petsolutions, it had some coraline algae on it and the remains of some kind of plants and looked like a few dead corals , but I havent seen any hitch hikers, it has been in the tank for about 10 weeks now.

Last edited:

Dracko

I have read that the easiest way to find them is at night with a red light. Of course, that does not help you catch them.

Pat24601

Mine never had hitchhikers. It might well have been dry rock that sat in the store for a few weeks.

I was just as happy it didn't have hitchhikers. While that can be kind of cool, it can also be a giant pain if you get something you don't want. As a newbie, the last thing I wanted was a giant pain I didn't know how to deal with. :)

If I had been more experienced, I may have had a very different perspective.

PatW

The source of the live rock has a big influence on the kinds a hitch hikers it has. Also, the shipping method is important.

I know that there is a dealer in Tampa. They culture rock in the Gulf of Mexico. They ship the rock with water to preserve as many hitch hikers as possible. Of course, this has benefits and drawbacks.

Some hitch hikers, like mantis shrimp pose a menace. Other hitch hikers are neutral or welcome additions to the clean up crew. Sorting through the hich hikers is work. I would think that many would not want to fool with it.

It is the best way I know of to add diversity to your tank.

Squatch XXL

It is the best way I know of to add diversity to your tank.
This is the truth. Using base rock and pharmaceutical grade salt mix really gives you nothing other than a clean tank. Live rock can bring sponges and worms.....And aptasia, nusance inverts and calerpa. I fought a calerpa situation for years with my 75 (thanks Live Rock). My reef was an unintentional quasi-refuge. I had pods everywhere, but it did not look the way I wanted....though It looked great.

I won't buy live rock sight unseen ever again unless I wanted to invite pests.

I had at least two mantis shrimp, maybe more time will tell.
If you revisit this post, please feel free to msg me the name of that vendor. I would love to have that sort of thing happen with an upcoming build.