Live Aquaria vs. Premium Aquatics vs. ? for live rock?

Burns11

I'm trying to decide to order my live rock from Live Aquaria and Premium Aquatics, both are the same price for the same rock (premium fiji on LA, premium cured fiji on PA). I hear both are top notch, but how about their rock? One better than the other? Someone else out there I should look at?

Thanks.

cioutlaw

Not sure of your location but the best thing is to hand pick it. Fortunatly I live somewhat close to PA.

Premium does have good live rock but I dont have anything to really compare it too.

kinghokus420

try yourreef.com he used to have decent rock for 3.99 lb shipped.
DSCN6841.jpg

this is just over 100 lbs that i got from him

Melanie

I just got mine from liveaquaria (the etropicals.com branch) and I am happy with it. It's Carribbean uncured live rock from Haiti. They have the BEST customer service and are so friendly on the phone.

10000Islands073.jpg

Tank014.jpg

Tank008.jpg

(blurry little brain coral.)

I think I also found a few zoa heads but I'm unsure if they are skeletons or alive yet. No pics because they are SMALL.

I can't remember how much I ordered. I think 60 lbs.

Burns11

I live in Louisville KY, so stuff from premium aquatics will get to me overnight with UPS ground.

LFS are all upwards of $8 a pound, so it ends up almost twice any other source.

cioutlaw

I live in Louisville KY, so stuff from premium aquatics will get to me overnight with UPS ground.

LFS are all upwards of $8 a pound, so it ends up almost twice any other source.

How far is Indy from you? Might be worth the drive & you can pick all the shapes you want. I would call first & make sure they will still let you its been awhile since i did it. There are some other great shops in the Indinapolis area too if you make the trip.

lcstorc

Premium Aquatics is a sponsor and while I have never ordered LR from them I will say that the customer service on my drygoods orders was awesome.

mps9506

I gotta say I'm a loyal premium aquatics customer after the way they've treated me and our club over the years :) I try to give them buisness whenever I can.
AFA Live rock, most live rock is transhipped from the same couple of transhippers/collectors. It really more depends on what kind you get, than who you get it from. Especially when dealing with the internet places that turn it around so quickly.
IMO the quality of Fiji live rock has gone down over the years, while other live rock like Tongan and some of the other islands have been producing quality looking rock consistently over the last 5-8 years.

mps9506

Looks great, haven't heard of anyone disappointed with PA's live rock. Glad you like it.

zoomer

Burns11, have you considered purchasing uncured rock? I have purchased cured rock from one of the places you mentioned, i'm not going to say which because I have nothing but negitive things to say about it. It was almost compleatly barren with only about 10% covered in coraline. Even a couple years later nothing really good came out of that stuff. Theres a well known supply store that I won't list here because I don't want to get into trouble for posting outside links. They have a wide selection of rock that i've been considering for a new tank. You can get cultured fiji rock from them for about $3.00lb. Premium Fiji for about 3.00lb or cultured carabiean for about $2.50lb or Tonga for a lil over $4.00lb. Also they have a 16lb box mix ment for nano cubes, but I bet they'd put togeather a larger box if you wanted, consisting of rock from Fiji, Tonga and Indonesia for $70, and that's precured. I've never ordered live stock from them, but always buy my dry goods from them. They've always been very friendly and knowledable. Also another place that has always been very honest and answered all my questions has a wide range of Marshall Island rock for about $5.50lb uncured, Vanuatu for $5.00lb uncured about 6 differnt types of Tonga for $3.75lb uncured or Fiji for about $3.25lb uncured. These prices don't include shipping. If you want the links please send a private message and i'll give them too you.
Never believe a place that tells you their pacific live rock often comes with stony corals attached. According to U.S. custom laws all unidentified corals are to be confiscated, that means they can seize live rock that has them as well. Because of that they always remove stony corals from pacific rock before shipping. The only rock you'll get corals on is the caribean cultured.

mps9506

Never believe a place that tells you their pacific live rock often comes with stony corals attached. According to U.S. custom laws all unidentified corals are to be confiscated, that means they can seize live rock that has them as well. Because of that they always remove stony corals from pacific rock before shipping. The only rock you'll get corals on is the caribean cultured.

I have to somewhat disagree with this. Having been on the retail side I got lots of walt smith and tongan live rock with small live sps corals still alive on them.
Obviously no colonies, but plenty of montipora and porites colonies still alive, occasional acros, but not often at all.
Of course according to cites the only thing that supposed to come in on a box of live rock is rock, but they do not check every chunk of live rock going through there. They check the boxes and generally can't even ID most corals down to species level, they check to make sure the count is correct and nothing obviously illegal is coming through.

That being said, any internet place that is selling a lot of live rock isn't checking them for live corals attached and just curing them in mass, and most stony corals don't make it through the curing process.

But having received tons of transhipped and wholesaled live rock fresh from the islands I do know for a fact that it very often shows up with small live SPS (almost always encrusting colony types) still attached, however what happens to it from there is up to the dealer.

zoomer

Mike, thanks for the correction, and I do have to admit that my statement wasn't entirely correct, because I did get a small orange encrusting Montipora on a piece of Vanuatu rock years and years ago. But I just get really angry at a lot of live rock dealers selling precured stuff saying that it's common for their rock to have stony corals, sponges and polyps when so many people get nothing more then barren rock with just a little bit of coraline algae on it.

mps9506

Mike, thanks for the correction, and I do have to admit that my statement wasn't entirely correct, because I did get a small orange encrusting Montipora on a piece of Vanuatu rock years and years ago. But I just get really angry at a lot of live rock dealers selling precured stuff saying that it's common for their rock to have stony corals, sponges and polyps when so many people get nothing more then barren rock with just a little bit of coraline algae on it.

Yeah, I do agree with that. Most cured live rock comes without much on it afa as corals and sponges goes.
I for the most part like it that way to tell the truth, less stuff to get in the way for coral growth :D When we cured rock at the store we kept everything well lit and tried to do 100% water changes 3-4 times a week on the system. Kept most of the stuff alive. Toward the end of me working at the store we started transshipping tongan rock that would come in extremely fresh with lots of life, unfortunately lots of macro algaes as well. Some people like it, some don't, depending on what the type of tank you are keeping.
I think a lot of times the amount of goodies you get on the rock depends on the collectors and how soon you get the rock. All the Tongan we started getting transshipped were individually wrapped (it was obvious no USFW agents were looking at the stuff, the wet paper would tear if they checked). I can't imagine the rock spent more than 4 days out of the ocean from the time it got to our tanks.
I've also heard through wholesalers that some of the rock is getting shipped over via boat freight now to save on shipping. I don't know how true that is, but that rock must come in looking and smelling awful.

kathywithbirds

I did actually get some green star polyps with my live rock from my LFS, it looked like purple rock until some polyps popped up a few weeks into it. Does that count as "stony coral"?

mps9506

Not a stony coral but polyps are pretty common hitchhikers as well. I can't say I've ever actually gotten green star polyps with my live rock though, so that's pretty cool. I usually get the ugly brown Protopalythoa polyps, sometimes the variety with the green tint to them under actinics. Regardless not very "purdy" critters :)