lionfish vibrations,shaking like hes shivering..RIP

fishheads

This is the second time that i've seen a lionfish do this, before dieng shortly after...it's like he is shivering..has anyone else ever seen this behavior,i'm sure i'm not the only one to have ever seen this twice..i can't find anything in any books for the cause of this..SORRY rdragon for your loss,i feel your pain, this morn my lion passed from fish palsey,i guess,or parkisons(i don't mean to offend anyone)...he would have wanted us not to grieve,so let's rejoice in his memory for anyone owning a lion, knowing how majestic,and proud his people stand(or swim)..the certain aire & confidence to control any room.. a true true lion, king.. he swam in the waters with a fierce venom that demanded respect, but never disrespectful..for he was gentle,and loved buy all that he ruled..REST IN PEACE, MY BEAUTIFUL PLUMED LION..you were loved by me

Last edited:

fishheads

you know sas,i think we're done with the lion..no more fish for awhile..we kinda get attached,call me wierd but i do love my fish..they each have there own personality,& i know,that they know exactly who i am..im the provider & the friend on the other side of the glass..some show out & show off for me,some hide all day but when i enter the room they come right up to the front of the glass to say, wassup buddy.. they wierd thing is my parameters check out.. i'm baffled

Cougra

Can you describe the events leading up to the time the fish started to shimmy? Shimmying is generally caused but a lot of stress. This can be from changes in whater chemistry, temperature, pH, ammonia, etc. How long have you had the lionfish? When was the last time you did a water change and what were the parameters of the water before and after the water change? Do you have a problem with high nitrates in the tank? Can you think of anything that may have stressed the lion? Was it eating on a regular basis?
What do you mean the water "checked out"?
Without any more information it's impossible to know what happened to it.

rDr4g0n

my lions pectoral fins would quiver quite frequently, but it didnt seem to be anything bad, just a sort of twitch.

cougra is right though. we should be gathering facts and trying to determine what exactly causes the deaths of each of our fishies or corals or inverts so that we can avoid similar mistakes in the future. long live the hobby!

fishheads

well i've had him for a couple of months i had no ammonia 0,my ph checked out 8.2,8.4,i do have high nitrates between 5.0 & 10..i have a wet dry that ive been slowly removing the balls from..nitrite 0,i did a water change 2 days before but i didnt do anything out of the ordinary, temp the same,salinity was in check..had some damsels in with him and he snacked on one the night before..i noticed that one of the damsels had a few spots of ich so i treated my tank as directed on the bottle with malechete green meds. and was going to do a water change the following day.. i woke to find my lion up side down breathing his last breaths..i didnt want to stress him out by moving him,that would have surely killed him, so i did nothing but sit & hope...he never showed sighns of any stress or illness..maybe the meds killed him..my other fish are fine

murkywaters

I don't think it's weird at all to get attached. I am the same way. (Hmmm that may not be good justification for it not being weird. )

Cougra

..i noticed that one of the damsels had a few spots of ich so i treated my tank as directed on the bottle with malechete green meds. and was going to do a water change the following day.. i woke to find my lion up side down breathing his last breaths..i didnt want to stress him out by moving him,that would have surely killed him, so i did nothing but sit & hope...he never showed sighns of any stress or illness..maybe the meds killed him..my other fish are fine

Well, this is a fairly simple one to answer. Malacite green is a very potent and dangerous medication. It's considered a dye and it's very carcinagenic. While it's generally very effective on bacteria and paracites it also has a very harmful effect on fish, and is especially hard on their liver! It's toxicity changes with temperature, pH, oxigen in the water and a few other factors.

mps9506

Just an fyi in addition to the malachite green, the symptoms you describe could also be attributed to cyanide toxicity from bad collection.

we should be gathering facts and trying to determine what exactly causes the deaths of each of our fishies or corals or inverts so that we can avoid similar mistakes in the future
Unfortunately it is not always the direct fault of the hobbyist. Poor collection, poor shipping and poor wholesale and retail husbandry are a big issue in this hobby. I encourage everyone to purchase from responsible retailers when it comes to your livestock. They should know where the fish come from and only sell species that are suited for life in captivity. Be willing to pay extra and support the responsible dealers.