lion compatability

hobbeslax

I am going to begin a 40 gal tank in a couple of months. Could I put a zebra lionfish and a fuzzy lionfish in the tank?

seafansar

Pretty sure the lion fish would eat the clown and probably the mandarin. They will eat whatever they can fit into their mouths, even somethings you'd think they couldn't fit!

hobbeslax

I'm not talking about the volitans. I would think that the clown and mandarin gobi would be too large for the dwarf lions.

nightfire76

as long as they cant fit in their mouth it should be ok,ive seen a few lions with clowns and such but again do it at your own rick of knowing your clown or what not may always be in danger

seafansar

Well that's what this person thought too...bye bye purple firefish.
IMG_0461.jpg

Just saying, they can fit a lot into those little mouths.

tektite

How about a clown fish, fuzzy lionfish, zebra lionfish and a mandarin gobi?

That seems like a very heavy bioload to me for a 40 gal tank with two lionfish - they are very messy eaters. 40 gallons is also very small for a mandarin, they need a lot of copepods. You'd have to have a massive refugium to get it enough food.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I feed lions at my LFS all the time, and you would be surprised what they fit in their guts. Its a lot for a 40 I agree.

If the fish can fit past their jaws they will eat it. Not sure they will eat a Mandarin though. They are brightly colored for a reason - the biological term is advertising. They have a poisonous slime that the lion is best advised to stay away from. They may not, which is bad news for both fish

Nigma

just make sure that the clown fish is 3 times the size of the lion fish then your good to go. this way the lion fish can't even put it inside its body. lol

bio-load thing might be too much like said before :)