linkia stars...

Tuna

i was going to buy a purple linkia star today but decided id better research first. ive had an orange linka in the past,he made it about a year and then died...i really miss it,my buddyfrom the lfs has had little luck with blue linkas but his most recent one is doing very well,he says he minimizes cleaning the glass of brown algea and the star like to eat that. any info or links i can learn about these guys?

blue_eyes53813

Linkia need a well established tank.. They feed off of junk on the rocks.. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years.. I think the main thing is they graze on the rocks. I drop some sinking pellets in the tank once in awhile and notice it will move to the area the pellets have been dropped... They also need to be aclimated very slow...

Tuna

cool, do you have any shrimp that will steal the pellets? im curious because my cleaner is greedy and i also hav a coral banded shrimp.

saltwaterfarm

I tried a blue linkia... it lasted a week before it melted. Please be careful, they are very slow drip acclimated and very sensitive to osmotic shock. I also remember reading somewhere about the majority of the purple ones not being linkia's but another species. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did because I didn't research until there was a problem. Good Luck!

Tuna

i think im going to watch my fromia star very carefully to see whats hes eating,the fromia seems very close to a linkia. oh so is this true,the purple ones arent linkisa?

MALIBU

Is it true that you can "not" touch a linkia also?
Also they have to be introduced from water to water with no air exchange?