Lights

Hi all, I have a130l tank with a lovely torch coral in. The coral is doing really well and I'm sure it's happy. I have a question about how long the lights should be on for. I have them coming on at 3 and going off at 9.30. The coral really starts to come out at about 9. Should I be leaving he lights on for longer or is 6 and a half hours long enough?

Tigersref

I have my torch under T5 lighting and i have the lights on from 7:30 am till 7:30 pm with no ill effects. Not sure if this answers your question.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah I'd say most people run their lights in the 8-12 hour range. From my experience, 8 hours of "full light" and then 1 hour on each side with say just actinics to give the dusk/dawn look works out nicely.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Good lights (not 1+ years old) shouldn't really contribute to growing algae as long as your water is good and your CUC is large enough.

"Bad light" can certainly promote algae growth. If you have algae problems though, longer exposure to the light does help it grow so i definitely see your question. If thats the case, you need to track down the source of your algae problem.

DaveK

The photo period you use is usually going to be a balance between your schedule, the cost of running the lighting, the corals you are keeping, and the unwanted algae growth you always seem to get.

Since your photo period is only 5 1/2 hours, I'd say increase it to about 8 or 9 hours. If you start to get algae, cut it back a bit. Then see how you make out. You may want even a longer photo period.

Hi stuart4222,
Could you tell me what size your tank is?i purchased "120w the Dimmable 55pcs with Blue(455nm):white(20000k)=30:25 Led Aquarium Light" on Aliexpress web at last year for my A130l tank ,that's fine now,i hope the answer can slove you question