Lights - How many hours per day?

Roy Page

We are interested to know how many hours folk here have their tank lights on.

With no intention of having an aquarium, I designed the house to be full of natural light throughout the year.
The house is positioned and windows located to gain the maximum amount of solar heating in the extreme cold of an Ohio Winter.
If the sun is shining the whole house will be up to 80F/27C by 10am when the outside temp is 24F/-5C.
[We set the house heating to maintain the house temp at 68F/20C during the night]

At the moment our T5 lights on the RSM C-250 are set to be on 8 hours per day.
Our tank is located in the dining portion of the kitchen.
That area is where the family gathers to eat, talk and surf the net with 2 laptops permanently on the table
We would really like the lights on till about 9pm but at the moment they come on at Noon and go off at 8pm.

With the tank in this area, we now keep the blinds and drapes [curtains for the Brits here] closed for much of the day to limit the amount of solar light & heating that the tank receives.

How long do you have your lights on per day ?
What time on and off ?
Why those times ?
Winter same as Summer ?

Roy

Danreef

3 LED strips for sunrise/sunset ( 2× 36 W 1× 24W) × 4 hours

Full lights : T5 +LED 8 Hours

Total time for lights: 12 hours, like caribean.

ON/OFF times goes with family schedule to enjoy the tank

Cheers
Daniel

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
We are interested to know how many hours folk here have their tank lights on.

With no intention of having an aquarium, I designed the house to be full of natural light throughout the year.
The house is positioned and windows located to gain the maximum amount of solar heating in the extreme cold of an Ohio Winter.
If the sun is shining the whole house will be up to 80F/27C by 10am when the outside temp is 24F/-5C.
[We set the house heating to maintain the house temp at 68F/20C during the night]

At the moment our T5 lights on the RSM C-250 are set to be on 8 hours per day.
Our tank is located in the dining portion of the kitchen.
That area is where the family gathers to eat, talk and surf the net with 2 laptops permanently on the table
We would really like the lights on till about 9pm but at the moment they come on at Noon and go off at 8pm.

With the tank in this area, we now keep the blinds and drapes [curtains for the Brits here] closed for much of the day to limit the amount of solar light & heating that the tank receives.

How long do you have your lights on per day ?
What time on and off ? On at 9:30 AM and off at 9:30 PM with a 1 hour sunrise and sunset so 10 hours with lights at the max setting.
Why those times ? Recommended by most and simulates an actual day.
Winter same as Summer ? yes

Roy

This should help:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ny-hours-day-you-running-your-rsm-lights.html

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry Daniel, when I deleted the other thread, I thought I was the only one that had responded so I accidentally deleted your reply. My bad...

Roy Page

Sorry Daniel, when I deleted the other thread, I thought I was the only one that had responded so I accidentally deleted your reply. My bad...

And I am sorry that I screwed up and posted the first one before I had hardly started writing and never knew till I had posted the second iteration.
Roy

Pat24601

What about my reply? It was awesome. Full of the wisdom that weeks of reefing experience has taught me. :)

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
FWIW, I'm running 8 hours/day full lights.
But, I do have brand new bulbs and I am fighting a small cyano problem.

Joeys Tank

I am running LEDs with 2 hr sunrise starting at 0930, peak lighting (currently 45%) for 5 hrs and then a two hr sunset ending at 1630. I am gradually increasing (every week) to bring the lights up to 12 hrs of light with 1 hr sunrise/sunsets and my LEDs at 80%.

I am doing the gradual increase due to the amount of life which came with the rock when I set it up and don't want to go too fast and bleach anything. Trying my best to be cautious and patient :)

Oxylebius

Currently running T5HOs 9 hrs a day (noon - 9pm).
This past winter was running 8 hrs a day (1pm - 9pm).
The tank sits in a space between two large south facing windows (windows are ~6 feet tall, so almost floor to ceiling in, ceiling ht in room is 11') - So, lots of light, more in winter with direct sun rays into room. Doesn't affect the tank or inhabitants with the tank lights turning on mid-day. They will get used to the light cycle.