lighting

boardsk8

will any power compact work as long as the K is the right number? like some lamps from a hardware store for example?

BoomerD

Maybe...gotta pay attention to wattage, (PC's are ballast/bulb specific) pin alignment, and rated"K". I'd be surprised if you find the right bulbs in a hardware store. MOST are either cool white (about 4000K) or warm white (about 2700K)
HelloLights is a good source for (relatively) inexpensive PC bulbs.

boardsk8

i found some that were either 6700, or 6500 cant remember now. I want to say 23 watts but cant exactly remember. it said it was equal to 100.

BoomerD

Are you just referring to the screw-in types? Used to replace standard incandescent bulbs? If so, they may be ok for refugium lighting, but you'll hate them over a tank. 6500K is considered to be a daylight spectrum bulb, and will make everything in the tank look yellow.
Unfortunately, there's no cheap way to light a tank. You NEED the right spectrum of bulbs, to grow corals, to prevent algae growth, to make things look RIGHT...

Dragon Wrasse

Are you just referring to the screw-in types? Used to replace standard incandescent bulbs? If so, they may be ok for refugium lighting, but you'll hate them over a tank. 6500K is considered to be a daylight spectrum bulb, and will make everything in the tank look yellow.
Unfortunately, there's no cheap way to light a tank. You NEED the right spectrum of bulbs, to grow corals, to prevent algae growth, to make things look RIGHT...

...Ditto.....it not worth going cheap....Back in the begining I had a hood with T12 bulbs (back in the day)....I used almost anything I could find in that hood and the results were not good.....:(

boardsk8

no they are the pin type with 4 tubes coming out of them. But i think i am liking the idea of going with good lighting. thanks guys!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Those bulbs would probably be okay for a refugium :) but I would get a good set of lights for the display.

Pro_builder

It really depends on what you are wanting to keep in the tank. Corals, High intesity lighting, Metal Hailide (too reach he bottom), Mushrooms (low light lovers) PC, VHO or T-5's, Fish only PC, VHO or T-5's.

Pro_builder

If you are looking for a cheaper route to go, you can buy a pendant type Metal Halide light for Shop use on Ebay for about $40 and then buy a bulb from Hello lights for about $50 to $80. This way you get the cheap lighting fixture (still great quality) and the right K value bulb.

boardsk8

def corals. I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to go MH. Are the shop pendants the ones that look as though they have a ballast on the top of them? also would one 250 do the trick, or would it need to be stronger?

boardsk8

oh, also how tall are the shop ones normally, pro builder? if they are the ones i am thinking of then they are pretty big.

Devilboy

i would really consider getting some of T5 HO with individual parabolic reflectors. Alot of people are getting these over halides. And keeping SPS tanks. But if your heart is set on halides i would go with the 250s or 175s.

if your tank is 24" tall go with the 250

boardsk8

now with thw HO and VHO you need the actinic bulb as well right (50/50)? and is there a large dif over the HO and VHO? The footprint of the lid is 12 3/4 x 31 1/2 so i would have to go with 24 inchers. Would one white and one blue HO be enough for the 24 inches of depth or would they need to be VHO? I am still leaning towards MH only because i want the best light for coral growth. Basicly in the end i want a tank that looks like Brothawolfs when you first get to reefsanctuary, bright colours with happy animals!

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am not sure of the price comparisons between t5 and vho....

Polycrylic would work fine. I used polyuerathane on the outstide of mine and painted a white glossy marine paint on the insides.

boardsk8

i just used a glossy oil based white on the inside then i am going to put a few coats of the polycrylic on the whole thing.

as for the lights i think i am going to go with a 175W MH and two 24" T5's one blue one white.

thanks for the reply woodstock.