lighting suggestion

tmc

i want some mh lights for my 75 but canopy only has about 3.5" of clearance.
probably 175's because heat could be a problem. anyone have any suggestions, links? should i got retro? what do i need to put together a retro light setup? any and all help is greatly appreciated
thanks tmc

proud2bcanadian

If you're a handyman, you could build yourself a new canopy.

If you don't want to go into that expense, you could always cut out some of the top of the canopy, and either use pendants, or get a hanging light fixture.

IMO, it would be best to either make your own canopy, or get one made for you by someone in your area. In fact, they aren't that hard to make. Just pick up a sheet of 3/4" plywood and get it cut down. Screw it together and coat the inside with Marine Spar Epoxy, and stain the outside to match your stand. Well, it's a bit harder than I just made it seem, but if there's a will, there's a way!

If you look through the DIY section here on RS, you should be able to find some pictures of other peoples DIY Canopies, and if you can't find much there, try a Google search or check out the DIY section on RC.

If you do make your own canopy, you could always sell the older one, and make some money back on the what you had spent on the DIY canopy.

HTH,

Gina

RS STAFF
Hasve you checked out any of our sponsors? I see that some of them carry lighting fixtures. They may have what you are looking for.

Cougra

I agree with proud2bcanadian in that you should get a different canopy. The MH bulbs should be at least 8 inches from the surface of the water to help prevent over heating the tank and to stop water from the tank splashing the hot bulbs and causing them to burst. A canopy is fairly easy to make and there are many designs around the web. When chosing which canopy you would like to have on your tank, look for things like accessability to the tank and how heavy it will get when you need to lift it.