Lighting Requirements

TonyD

I have noticed that there are tons of hearsay and inaccurate opinions on lighting requirments for marine aquariums. Simply put any lighting can work well for your tank depending on what you plans for the tank are.

It does not matter of you want to use PC, T5 or MH.

It's all about the PAR values at any given depth that will tell you what can or can not be kept in a tank under certain lighting.

Let's be clear here, I am not telling you that you can grow anything in any tank under PC lighting. But I am telling you it is possible to grow anything in certain tanks, even under PC lighting. Confused yet?

I strongly reccomend that you look up Sanjay Joshi and his research and articles if you want to see the specific data. Various corals have certain par requirements that must be met in order for the coral to survive and thrive. This can range from 50par upto 500par depending on the coral you want to keep. Very few corals require more than 500par but there are some.

Some of Dr. Joshi's writings can be found here: Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Sanjay Joshi, Ph.D.

The break down is fairly simple. Softies, mushroom and zoanthinds have the lower requirements of 50~150 par. LPS, clams and some SPS fall into the 150~250 par range. Which leaves most SPS and acropora in the 250~500 par requirement.

Here's where it gets tricky as must of us do not have par meters and it really is a must if you want to know if a certain coral can be kept under your lighting. Chances are your local reef club or another local reefer will have a par meter that can be checked out or borrowed. Please don't assume that because someone else was able to keep SPS under PC lights that you can to.

Par is affected by the strength of the lighting and depth of the water. Meaning that your PC lighting may measure 250 par at the water surface but could be 50 par at the sandbed. Using these numbers you could keep softies, shrooms, zoanthids, lps and even some sps in tank using PC lighting! The "trick" as you may know is placement of that coral in the tank that provides the required strength of light for that coral.

I am not suggesting that you PC light owners run out and start buying LPS or SPS, just that it is possible to keep such coral if your particular lighting meets the the requirements of the coral you wish to keep. Don't guess! Use the proper tools and measure your particular lights over your particular tank!

I run 3 250w MH and 3 160w VHOs over my 150, as you would expect I can keep any coral I choose in this tank. In my nano using 2 36w Coral life PC fixtures, and have succesfully kept anemones as well as lps to zoas and even sps(birdsnest).

In conclusion: If you really want to know what you can keep under your lighting get or borrow a par meter ane measure what your lights put out into your tank. This is the only real way to know for sure if you are providing adequate light for your coral. Guessing and relying on someone elses guess is playing Russian Roulette with the health and life of your coral.

HightideTN

Thanks for the info TonyD. I am starting out with a 42 watt replacement florescent bulb in a clamp on reflector. I will attempt some corals.

I also enjoyed the posts on painting the back glass reducing the mirror effect of glass and thereby reducing the brightness at the rear of the tank.

cbrownfish

In my nano using 2 36w Coral life PC fixtures, and have succesfully kept anemones as well as lps to zoas and even sps(birdsnest).

Thanks for the info Tony. Forgive my "Devil's Advocate" stance but I am compelled to walk a certain line here. How long did you keep an anemone and SPS under a 36W PC? 2 years with excellent growth? Do you have pictures? 3-6 months does not "prove" a case in that regard. A very healthy or aqua-cultured specimen can live for quite a while in sub par conditions.

I can appreciate the point of your thread but it really scares me to think that anyone is suggesting to the general population that you keep Clams, SPS or anemones under PC's. I recognize that you are not directly recommending this and you even present the "buy a PAR meter" disclaimer at the end. Is a newb with a 12 gallon nano going to buy/borrow a PAR meter or just wing it? I do feel like there is some validity to your information but you are not posting this amongst a forum full of experienced reef keepers. There are 5-10 "Hi, I'm new to this" threads every day on this site.

Unfortunately, folks that are new to reefing will take what the want to hear and run out and buy a high-light organism for 24" deep tank, lit by 54W PC's. Newbs will always push the envelope, ignorant to the harm they are bringing to the lives in their care. The desire for nicer livestock typically outweighs recommendations in their respective beginnings.

Due to this, I simply walk this line:

Clams, SPS and Anemones = Metal Halides or multiple T5's w/individual reflectors in a shallow tank of 18" or less.

Again sorry for my opposing view but I don't advocate the general theme coming from your thread, as I feel that it is detrimental to the populous of new folks on Reef Sanctuary. I derive my opinion of the thread "theme" based on the quote above. That seems to be your case and point.

lcstorc

Recently with the purchase of my LED lighting I have paid much more attention to par and have purchased my own meter. (They are not as expensive as I had assumed they were.) The thing that suprised me the most is how much the numbers varied. Part of this is the nature of LED lighting and is why I bought the meter but I have also found som suprinsing results largely because of the rock structure. We spend a lot of time saying put this coral low or high or whatever but what is obvious to some and not others is to pay attention to shadows and overhangs and such. I have places in my tank where the par goes from 400 down to 50 in less than an inch with both places being on a shelf where I would concieveable put a coral.
Anyway, it is somethin I had never given much throught to that I now pay close attention to.

TonyD

Absolutely, I have lots of pictures. I will gather up several over a period of time to show growth and how I did things in that tank. I just don't have the time right now to get everythign together, this weekend should allow me enough to get back to you and anwer the questions posed.