Lighting reflectors for DIY?

Squatch XXL

I am looking for any info on any supplier of t5 and power compact reflectors. I am looking at constructing a DIY canopy because I hate my hanging light setup. I do want a set of quality reflectors.

DaveK

There are a few vendors that sell such items. Here is one. I have bought a few things from them, but nothing big, and not anything for T5 (offsite) - http://www.aquacave.com/aquarium-lighting/t5-aquarium-lighting/t5-diy-components.html

You also might find something at Home Depot you can use. They seem to be getting into T5 lighting, but you 'll likely need to replace the bulbs day 1, since it's for a reef.

What don't you like about your cuttent lighting? Perhaps it can be redone at a lot less cost.

Squatch XXL

What don't you like about your cuttent lighting?
It is a generic 4 bulb t5 ho enclosure. It has one reflector, and Id like to upgrade to better quality single reflectors. I don't mind reusing the ballast and the tombstones etc, but the reflector is not worthwhile. Id like to get the most light aimed down.

As for power compact...I have a diy kit, and the reflector again is a big flat ugly piece of tin....Web searches turned up little or no good info on high quality pc reflectors.

@SubRosa I have a 3 foot tank. Feel free to shoot me a message either way about them.

DaveK

It's true, you will see some improvement with good individual reflectors over a single reflector for all bulbs, but I suspect you will not find it that much better.

Depending upon the size of the tank and what you want to keep, you might want to build or buy entirely new lighting.

As for reusing ballasts and end caps, check out the energy efficiency of the existing ballast. You may find a replacement will pay for itself in electricity costs. The end caps may or ma not be usable. Some fixtures use more or less standard parts, others use specially designed ones that will only work well with the original fixture. You might be better off just replacing them with new water prood ones. They are not that expensive.

Squatch XXL

It's true, you will see some improvement with good individual reflectors over a single reflector for all bulbs, but I suspect you will not find it that much better.
Any improvement is welcome. However anything that is more efficient than my current setup will help. I have access to many sizes of stainless process tubing....which is mirror finished inside from factory......I could cut a piece of 2 inch tubing in half, and make a perfect parabolic reflector. The trick then would be to find a way to adjust its height vs the bulbs so to get the most out of it, which would almost undoubtedly require a par meter.....Chances of that happening is slim to none.

Last edited: