Lighting Question

Hello all - I too have an 85 gallon freshwater planted tank and have a question about lighting. Right now, I have the coralife CF on the tank at 4x65watts. The tank is very low tech with only adding tropica plant food and flourish excel every other day. It has a variety of cryptocorynes and java ferns with driftwood.

I'm looking at going to T-5s instead or VHOs because the lighting and not to mention the heat on the CFs are just killin' me. Maybe it's because I've went to the "dark side" and love the lighting on those tanks. :)

What I'm curious about, is I know most T-5s (though they have them for freshwater) they are not exactly what I'd like to see. I was thinking of getting a T-5/VHO for marine, then replacing the actinics with the plant bulbs and keeping the 10Ks. I'm actually looking at this light:

T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights

What is everyone's thought on this???? Would it work?

Thanks in advance

PEMfish

Do not go VHO. Go T5 HO. You can order most fixtures with 6700k and 10000k bulbs in them. Although Current uses Sunpack or something like that with aren't good bulbs.
For much cheaper you can go DIY. If you feel skilled and comfortable with that PM me for detailed instructions if needed.

DaveK

Hello all - I too have an 85 gallon freshwater planted tank ...

The T5 fixture you are looking at would be fine, but let me tell you about what I'm using on my 90 gal FW planted tank.

Now I know this will be considered overkill by some, but I'm using a fixture with two 150w double ended MH's, with 10000K bulbs. I replaced the supplied coil and core ballasts with Ice Cap electronic ballasts. This gets the temp down, and makes the fixture weigh about 15 lbs less. It also reduces power consumption by about 1/3.

The lighting really gets growth out of the plants, and I have removed or trimmed back giant val plants with 8 foot leaves. Since the bulbs are only 150w and electronic ballasts are in use, power consumed is about what you'll get out of other PC, VHO, or T5 fixtures.

You'll also get that very nice shimmer effect from the MHs. If you use 6500K bulbs over the 10000K bulbs, you tank will look a bit yellow, but you'll get the effect of looking at a pond with the sun streaming into it, in the late afternoon.

This arrangement isn't for everyone, and if I didn't have the spare fixture, I'd most likely be using something else, but I have been very pleased with the results.