lighting fixture in a hood question

althea2you

can you do it? i am having some serious conflict about this... like i wanted the geismann thats in my 90 gallon chronicle... and supposedly we cant put that in a canopy... is that true?

kimoy

you can still use it in a canopy but it has to sit on top for it to breath. I know of someone that has a canopy with a light hood on top not inside. cut a hole on top enough for the fixture ti sit on it.

althea2you

i was thinking this... i was getting the Geismann for the aesthetics of it... because i wasnt going to have a canopy.... now i think im getting a completely new tank, stand and canopy. but i still want the metal halide HQI/T5 fixture. now if i mounted that inside to the top of the canopy and vented the back and had fans.. would that work? i would probably need a chiller.... but what im asking is would it work that way? i mean why wouldnt it fit inside the canopy. would i need a smaller fixture? its a 48" tank, so the canopy would naturally be bout 48"...so would the fixture fit in there...or is it just not possible. do i have to get retrofits? :p

BarbMazz

How is the canopy built? How high off the water would the fixture be if it was inside the canopy or sitting on top of the canopy? MH's need to be up off the water quite a bit, and if inside a canopy it gets more complicated because of heat, as you know. I would think Geisemann could give you the exact dimensions of the fixture so you can see if it would fit inside the canopy.

My tank is smaller than yours at 65g. My canopy design prohibited the use of MH, so I did a T5 retrofit. I have 36" 6x39w, and it fit nicely inside the canopy and left room for three moonlights (I have the aquacontroller jr like you do, so I bought the lunar simulator that will work with that). From what I've been told and what I've read, I should be able to keep my SPS and clams with this amount of light (there are individual reflectors), and will have lots less heat.

If you're considering the canopy, and have to change your mind about lighting, take a look at my chronicle for an idea of how the retrofit can look; http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ails-pace-beginning-old-ladys-65g-reef-6.html

Not sure if the link will take you right to the lights, they are on page 6, if not. It wasn't hard at all to do.... and I'm sure anyone who tries to make their own ROCK can do a light retrofit! :makefun: