Lighting fixture for RSM

AG1

Hi all ! I ordered a lighting fixture for my RSM 130. It has 6 x 24w T5 lamps but I will change the lamps with aqua-science T5 lamps.

There are 3 different lamps which are special(15000K) , duo(17500K) and blue (22000K) so I wonder what would be the best combination ? and will it be enough for the sps types?

My LFS told me that the light would be much more intense than the stock lighting and I do not understand how can just 34W addition make so much difference?

Thanks,

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Watts is not a measure of light produced, it is a measure of energy consumed. PC bulbs are not very efficient. They are very wide, which cuts down on the amount of light reflected back into the tank. They lamps are also curved, which also cuts down on efficiency.

T5 bulbs are 5/8" thick, which is very narrow. They are straight as well and as a result a good reflector will increase the output of a T5 lamp by a factor of 3, and focus the light to go down into the tank.

They are a very efficient bulb, and it is more appropriate to compare them to MH in terms of light producing power.

AG1

Watts is not a measure of light produced, it is a measure of energy consumed. PC bulbs are not very efficient. They are very wide, which cuts down on the amount of light reflected back into the tank. They lamps are also curved, which also cuts down on efficiency.

T5 bulbs are 5/8" thick, which is very narrow. They are straight as well and as a result a good reflector will increase the output of a T5 lamp by a factor of 3, and focus the light to go down into the tank.

They are a very efficient bulb, and it is more appropriate to compare them to MH in terms of light producing power.

Thank you very very much for this kind information.I had some worries about the new lighting fixture but now understand that it will be better for my tank.do you think that this amount of light is enough for sps types?And by the way , what do you think about the K values ?Which combination would be the best for me.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
There are many combinations depending on what you want to highlight in you tank. On my 6 bulb fixture I had 3 ATI Blue + lamps, 1 UVL Super Actinic, 1 GE 6500k Daylight, and an ATI Pro Color. But there are a lot of ways to mix it

Mavjoy

AG1- what kind of fixture did you get? I'm also planning on upgrading my lights. Thanks.

AG1

There are many combinations depending on what you want to highlight in you tank. On my 6 bulb fixture I had 3 ATI Blue + lamps, 1 UVL Super Actinic, 1 GE 6500k Daylight, and an ATI Pro Color. But there are a lot of ways to mix it

I want to make a mixed type tank including lps and soft corals but also want to add some some sps to the top of the rock just under the Hydor Flo.

AG1

AG1- what kind of fixture did you get? I'm also planning on upgrading my lights. Thanks.

I ordered the fixture but will get it on Saturday.It was my LFS's advice to me and he told me that it was a Chinese product but would be perfect with the aqua-science bulbs.

I can write the brand name of the product to you when I get the it on Saturday.And I will try to add some pictures of it .