Lighting - Cannot screw in the ceiling.

inet-projects

Guys,

Tank is 150 Gallon, 63inches wide (160cm) I was looking at keeping the works, Fish, Hard & Soft Corals, Inverts.

Ideas and suggestions, I cannot hang lights from the ceiling, but I think also a enclosed canopy doesnt work with a reef ?

Thanks

Dave

boozeman

how exciting...a new reef with endless possibilities!!!
...sure you can have a canopy over a reef!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I have an enclosed canopy on my 150... I had it made taller than a standard canopy and it houses a Hamilton 72" metal halide power compact retrofit unit. I cut out 4 openings on the top and mounted four 5" DC fans for cooling.

It works great... I run my system without a chiller. :thumbup:

DSCN0437.JPG

inet-projects

Guys,

JFKs Hood looks smart, perhaps I should be more clear, I need something thats on the lighter side, Something I can probably manage with One Hand.

I did see some Over Tank like standsbut nothing in 63" length.

I am also not sure of the configuration, T5 only or a mixture, but of what ?

Regards

Dave

Pro_builder

Building a hood that you could manage with 1 hand would be tough, as far as putting on. But, after it is on, you can put doors in the front side of it to get to the fish and lights for maintanence. Those you could handle with 1 hand.

Not sure why you need to handle this project with 1 hand????
Were are you from? Could you have some friends help you out with it?
What you want for lights really depends on the money that you want to spend and what you want to keep in the tank, like anenomes, LPS, SPS, Softies.

boozeman

you can have a hood like jfk and make the front panel open easily like a door by attaching small gas shocks to the sides. Or you can be more adventuresome and attach power actuated solenoid arms to open at the push of a button. You can also build a canopy unit and use a barn door or garage door track to slide it out of the way. another option is using a bicycle lift to raise/lower an aluminum light rack.
let me know if you need links to any of these ideas...I will try to remember where I've seen them :invisible:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
But, after it is on, you can put doors in the front side of it to get to the fish and lights for maintenance. Those you could handle with 1 hand.

That's how my hood works. You lift up the front and it folds back on itself. When open it provides access to everything. The edge (trim) of the tank is right there... so you don't have to reach over anything.

BoomerD

I can understand this...I can't screw in the ceiling either...just not agile enough in my old age...;)

But OP, if you used hooks to attach a light fixture, it should be relatively easy to patch the holes. (I presume you are renting) MOST landlords don't mind the holes, IF you fix them before you move.