Lighting and Refugium

Ichysis

Hello all

being new to this hobby, I've been unsure about the whole lighting thing. I have a 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube with some zoas, mushroom corals (which are not doing well) percula clowns, algae blenny, 6 line wrasse and red legged hermit crabs.

So what's the deal with lighting? can any give a short synopsis of the different kinds of lights and what they are for?

Also, do I need a refugium and how does one go about starting one?

Thanks!

reefer gladness

You're question might be a little too broad to get many responses but we'll try to help.

You don't need a refugium and with an all-in-one style tank like the BC29 I think it's more trouble than it's worth to add one. The benefits are increased water volume (increases stability), natural nitrate/phosphate reduction and a safe habitat for pods to reproduce.

If you want some help with your unhappy corals/shrooms we need more info about your water. Common water quality tests = ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphates. Water chemistry tests = alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Any one of these out of balance will have negative consequences in your tank.