Life Springing Up

deaclauderdale

I was looking at the tank tonight and I noticed what appera to bugs and worms crawling over the live rock, which is wierd considering I havne't even added the shrimp. I also belive I see an Antipastia (forgive my spelling0 anemone and I was wondering the best way to destroy it before it becomes a problem/pest. Also will all these animals die once I add the shrimp and begin the cycle or has the cycle begun without my help?

BoomerD

The little critters you are seeing are copepods (little bugs) and amphipods (little shrimp). The most likely came with your live rock and/or sand, and SHOULD survive the cycle just fine. I HOPE you're referring to an aiptasia anemone, but antipasto sounds good...;) A thick mix of kalk or some Joe's Juice should klll the invader. Sometimes it takes a couple of treatments to get it deadded good...;) other times, a single treatment does the job. Other people have used a syringe of scalding hot water, or lemon juice, and inject it directly into the body of the anemone. Be careful, any stray bit that breaks off can (& usually does) start a new anemone, and the plague begins...

flyline

i just had that problem and i tried useing viniger that dident work so i used boiling water that got rid of them real quick it only took one shot with the hot water hope this helps