Lexinverts' Red Sea Max 250

Lexinverts

Hello everyone!

Has anyone here used a pump besides the Ehiem Compacts (2000, 3000, 5000) or the Sicce stock pumps to replace pump #1 and #2 in the RSM250? Since I've been dosing 2-part, it seems like my pumps are getting gunked up much faster and I am often soaking them in vinegar to keep them running. It would be nice to have some extra pumps on hand, and I'd like to see what my options are. Thanks!

Danreef

Hi, can you please elaborate more what is happening to your pumps. I would like to know about lt, because as you, there are many RSM250 using 2 parts dosing. I am one :).

Thanks
Daniel

Lexinverts

Hi, can you please elaborate more what is happening to your pumps. I would like to know about lt, because as you, there are many RSM250 using 2 parts dosing. I am one :).

Thanks
Daniel

Hi Dan,
They are getting gritty buildup on them, and the the impeller is getting hung up. I soak them in vinegar for a day or two and then that usually fixes it. While I have been able to fix it so far, it does seem like the dosing will end up wearing my pumps out a little faster.
Andy

Oxylebius

Yeah, I've heard this happening to many pumps. I have been manually dosing very slowly straight into the DT for this reason. I have a dosing pump, but haven't set it up yet b/c I need to determine where I want it to pump into and clogging of pumps has been my main concern. I already soak my pumps in vinegar water once every 6 months for normal maintenance and hoping that I don't need to do it more often then that.

Lexinverts

Slowly, but surely, the tank is getting back to normal after my war with Montipora nudibranchs...

Here's a new FTS:

And here's a new video of the tank:

[video=youtube_share;5z06ayH8Ihs]http://youtu.be/5z06ayH8Ihs[/video]

Lexinverts

The tank was looking quite pristine this evening, so I thought I would share.

I just got a Melanurus wrasse for pest control that I am really diggin' so far.

Lexinverts

Here's a FTS of my office tank. (I have two RSM250 systems, one at home and one in my office.) The the ORA birdsnest corals in this tank are getting a little out of hand. I should call is the "Bird sanctuary" tank. LOL. They sure go through lots of 2 part Ca and Alk with that fast growth.

Danreef

Here's a FTS of my office tank. (I have two RSM250 systems, one at home and one in my office.) The the ORA birdsnest corals in this tank are getting a little out of hand. I should call is the "Bird sanctuary" tank. LOL. They sure go through lots of 2 part Ca and Alk with that fast growth.

Do you really work in the office????? ..... LOL. :)

Nice tanks !!!

Lexinverts

Here's a picture of my home tank with Steve's LEDs. Unfortunately, there is something about the shimmer of these lights that makes getting a picture of the true color very difficult. It doesn't look nearly so purple in person, but all of my pictures end up purple like this. I think because they lack the shimmer, it's much easier to get a good picture of your tank when running the stock T5s.

Danreef

Here's a picture of my home tank with Steve's LEDs. Unfortunately, there is something about the shimmer of these lights that makes getting a picture of the true color very difficult. It doesn't look nearly so purple in person, but all of my pictures end up purple like this. I think because they lack the shimmer, it's much easier to get a good picture of your tank when running the stock T5s.

It looks fantastic and very healthy !!!

Lexinverts

I started using NO3-PO4-X about 2 weeks ago. I have it hooked up to a BRS dosing pump. I started out with the recommended dose and it took my nitrates from 15 ppm down to 0 within 3 days. I backed it off, and now I am dosing about 1 ml per day. My nitrates are holding steady at 1 ppm, which is where I want them to be. What a fantastic product! No more need for Purigen or ChemiPure Elite in the sump.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank is looking fantastic! And that maxima is gorgeous! :D
Nice work with the nopox too :)

Pat24601

I started using NO3-PO4-X about 2 weeks ago. I have it hooked up to a BRS dosing pump. I started out with the recommended dose and it took my nitrates from 15 ppm down to 0 within 3 days. I backed it off, and now I am dosing about 1 ml per day. My nitrates are holding steady at 1 ppm, which is where I want them to be. What a fantastic product! No more need for Purigen or ChemiPure Elite in the sump.

Can you fill me on how you used nopox. I started using it a couple months ago with what I thought were great results. I had a batch of gha that totally disappeared.

Then recently, I had two more batches appear.

I was curious about your dosing pattern and if you removed your chemical filtration and/or whatever else is relevant.

I'm trying to decide between continuing that or going heavier on chemical filtration.

Lexinverts

Can you fill me on how you used nopox. I started using it a couple months ago with what I thought were great results. I had a batch of gha that totally disappeared.

Then recently, I had two more batches appear.

I was curious about your dosing pattern and if you removed your chemical filtration and/or whatever else is relevant.

I'm trying to decide between continuing that or going heavier on chemical filtration.

I recommend using the NOPOX. However, make sure that you use the Red Sea Nitrate test kit first to determine your starting point. Then I would use about half of the recommended dose. Monitor your nitrate closely, since taking it too low too fast can be harmful as well.

I am dosing 1 ml per day with a BRS dosing pump. It is keeping my nitrates steady between 1 and 2. I removed all of my Chemipure Elite from the back.

Chemical media works, but it is harder to maintain a constant level of nitrate than with the NOPOX, in my opinion.