Let's talk frag tanks....

von G

So I have some awesome growth in my 29g nano since upgrading to the Modular LED kit at xmas.

Now, I'm considering my own frag tank.

What are people using for smaller frag tanks?
I still have my stock nano T-5 lighting I could rig into some sort of canopy... but chances are I would end up getting another LED retro kit.
I would prefer a low profile rimless tank, but then the plumbing for filters/powerheads and skimmer might be ugly.

Frag tank owners - show me your setup please!

I goog'd and found this:

img4901fv3.jpg

nano's?
is this realistic for proper growth? what kind of lighting is on them?

cheers.

ViperDoug

I am strongly considering this myself. If I do it I plan to use a 48" x36" racetrack and LED lights. I think a tank can be a pain for frags to set them up. Personally I think a racetrack setup is perfect for a frag tank. I am interested to here others that have done it.

ViperDoug

They are also called fiberglass troughs. They come in many different sizes. My LFS uses them to display corals. They are usually only 12-16" deep. You install your own plumbing and therefore you can not only customize it by installing however many flow heads in it you nt, but you can put ball valves on each of them to regulate the flow depending on what type of corals you have. I like this setup because of how dynamic it is and therefore you can accommodate all types of corals. It works like this...use a nice size external pump to move the water. If you have a 48" long or rough like I mentioned, you could have four flow heads (one every 12") along each long side of the trough. You will also need to install the egg crates in it if you dont want the corals on the bottom since you will be looking at them from top down only. It is open top so you can hang any kind of lighting system above it. I say LED since they do offer great growth and are becoming quite inexpensive (all things considered including electricity usage) if you don't use something high-end like EcoTech Radions. Go to Aquatic Eco-Systems: aquaculture, lake, koi pond and aquarium supplies and search for fiberglass troughs like I said.

ViperDoug

Yeah, it is more commonly used by experts since you can keep all frags close to the lighting for rapid growth and the dynamic aspect is great.

catran

This is the frag tank I got for my build. It's 24x24x10, but I now wish I had gone with 30x30x10 or maybe 36. It's sitting waiting for the new AI "Phoenix" to be released. With a tank like this, it's drilled and you see very little of the plumbing if it's planned properly. I built a sump and it'll add 27g of water to it.
570e8676.jpg

9fdab0c0.jpg

FYI, this I'd replacing a 29g high that was just inadequate for frags. I had 5 frag racks in it and the problem is a good majority of my frags needed strong light and they just couldn't get it with the racks being stacked vertically. Then there were challenges with flow...I'll be very happy when I get this tank going. I have close to or over 100 frags that need conditions to be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

catran

They are also called fiberglass troughs. They come in many different sizes. My LFS uses them to display corals. They are usually only 12-16" deep. You install your own plumbing and therefore you can not only customize it by installing however many flow heads in it you nt, but you can put ball valves on each of them to regulate the flow depending on what type of corals you have. I like this setup because of how dynamic it is and therefore you can accommodate all types of corals. It works like this...use a nice size external pump to move the water. If you have a 48" long or rough like I mentioned, you could have four flow heads (one every 12") along each long side of the trough. You will also need to install the egg crates in it if you dont want the corals on the bottom since you will be looking at them from top down only. It is open top so you can hang any kind of lighting system above it. I say LED since they do offer great growth and are becoming quite inexpensive (all things considered including electricity usage) if you don't use something high-end like EcoTech Radions. Go to Aquatic Eco-Systems: aquaculture, lake, koi pond and aquarium supplies and search for fiberglass troughs like I said.

I like this idea too. When I have significant grow out, I might do this also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD