LED Question

waltmag41

Hi all......haven't posted in a bit but it's been 7 months since I started my 60 gallon FOWLR. Everything is going great with the exception of an occasional nitrate battle. I am looking to make my first big upgrade to the system by purchasing some LEDs. I'm not looking to go crazy but I would like enough light to support some anemones and maybe some soft corals at some point in the distant future. I was thinking of some strip lighting but I my crappy plastic canopy has that front to back center support and I'm worried that I would lose light in that portion of the tank. Anyone have recommendations? Could a few clamp on lights provide enough wattage? Thanks for the help!!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How much are you trying to spend? If your water is stable, balanced and in the right ranges then a lighting upgrade should do a lot if you wanna move into corals. Unfortunately anemones and soft corals are at the opposite ends of the intensity scale (nem = high, soft corals = low) so this would require you to have different lighting levels in the tank. You can use an adjustable fixture along with some strategic placement and that should work. Reef breeders and reef radiance have some good affordable fixtures. If you wanna go high end then you're looking at AI, ecotech and kessil type fixtures

waltmag41

Not looking for high end....was hoping to add the nems 1st.......not ready for corals yet but it's something that I think I'd eventually like to do.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Soft corals are easy to keep, nems are a good bit harder but doable. Check out reef radiance, Rick is s great guy to work with and he'll help you get the right fixture and you'll get good quality.

DaveK

If you don't feel your ready for anemones or corals today, then don't waste you money on LED lighting at this point.

In the first place you don't need it in a FOWLR system. In the second place, LED lighting is still improving quite a lot year to year. If you put off the upgrade, you'll likely get better light at a lower price.

+1 to @PSU4ME posts on the subject, but only when you are ready for anemones or corals.