LED lighting question

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
well that's a loaded question :)

They all perform well and have pros and cons. What are you trying to accomplish with your reef? You can pick up some value LED's for a good price and won't have heat issues or bulb replacement down the road.

check out reef radiance

Newjack

just to mention I am accually trying them both. I am using a 50/50 LED + an actinic bulb. so far my corals are growing like crazy and propagating.

reefer gladness

Hehe, definitely a loaded question. I'm a self-professed LED geek and admit that I'm fully biased but I'll try to give an un-biased opinion. In general, LED's are going to be more expensive when you start the tank but less expensive to maintain so the longer you use them the better return you get on your initial investment. Properly cooled and depending on how long and how hard they are driven LED's should last 5-10 years, the current generation of LED's hasn't really been around long enough to validate this claim though.

Budget LED's can be okay, stay away from the models using 0.5 or 1-watt LED's, you want 3-watt and/or 5-watt LED's to penetrate the water. Beyond that, when going budget you're trading off the ability to control each color channel independently and possibly the ability to interface with a controller. Some cheapo models suffer from cooling issues. I'd stay away from eBay or anything shipped from outside the US, most of the reef radiance models carry a 2-year warranty and can be extended to 3 so I agree it's a good place to start looking.

I'm going to start this tank as a FOWLR with some mobile inverts, and if it works out i'll add coral later. An LED strip I was thinking of getting had 1-watt LEDs, but it claimed that it was reef capable. Are the socket lamps affordable for a 55g, or should I look into making custom lighting?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm going to start this tank as a FOWLR with some mobile inverts, and if it works out i'll add coral later. An LED strip I was thinking of getting had 1-watt LEDs, but it claimed that it was reef capable. Are the socket lamps affordable for a 55g, or should I look into making custom lighting?

I would guess you're talking about the MarineLand LED "Reef Capable" units. IMHO that's total hogwash and just bad business for the consumer. They are much less than "Reef Capable" unless your running low-light needing coral.

reefer gladness

For a FOWLR the 1-watt LED's would probably work out okay. The 'reef capable' claim is one we've seen many times before. This really depends on what type of corals you want and how deep your tank is. 1-watt LED's could be okay for a shallow tank and corals with low light requirements. In that sense they are 'reef capable', beyond that many reefers end up with buyers remorse and replace them if they want corals or nems with higher light requirements. I think a 55g is about 20-21 inches tall I think and the 1-watt's would not penetrate well to the bottom.

You can DIY your own LED system fairly easy if you're that sort, I've used rapidled.com for my two builds. Pretty much all the components are the same no matter who you shop with. For the price the reef radiance are a pretty good value, you could start off with one and add a second later on if you need it.

i'm planning to add in a wellsophyllia, birds nest coral, and some mushrooms, zoanthids and starburst polyps as soon as im sure the aquarium is ready for them

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i'm planning to add in a wellsophyllia, birds nest coral, and some mushrooms, zoanthids and starburst polyps as soon as im sure the aquarium is ready for them

The Birds Nest Coral is going to want a good bit of light. I've had them in various lighting situations and they've all done best with high intensity lighting and lots of water flow. YMMV

So for the 55g, are 2 DM-132e's better? And if I do get them, do I need to buy the stands, or is it relatively easy to attach them to a canopy?

R1junkie

have the pro 180 on my 65 gal, love the programability not sure which one of those you would need for a 55 though as it is a foot wider than a 65

Are LEDs as affective as the T-5s and Metal Halides? I'm trying to bring down the cost of a 55g reef that I'm planning.

Absolutely They are worth it. Depending on what you can afford go for it. Im using TMC Aqua ray 2000HD tiles which are excellent, my LPS love them. they even have Fiji blue built in for viewing florescent corals. Heat exchange is non existent, Running costs are unnoticeable compared to T5's or metal halides. Also nearly all LED's are programmable. You wont ever look back.