Led hell!!!

Coldjoker

Ok I have spent countless hours researching LED's and came up with nothing. Watts per gallon means nothing from what I have been reading, the LED's I am looking at buying have a LM of 65. I have a 75 Gallon 12dx60wx22t with SPS and LPS corals plan on adding a clam, where do I even start on what is needed to be certain these corals will survive. Any advice is needed.................

Hampton

Here is my current setup. 55 gallon, same dimensions only 48" instead of 60"

2- 4 1/2"x 9" heat sinks
each have 12 3 watt Cree leds (6 white, 6 blue)
placed 6 inches above the water
60 degree lens
powered by dimming meanwell drivers

I am very satisfied with my coral growth and coverage. Sorry for the crappy photo, time to upgrade phones I suppose.

IMG_20120227_075103.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
With LED most of our "understanding" goes out the window but really Watts Per Gallon has been out the window a long time now.

I'd suggest you go with the "Big Hitters" in LED and don't try to cut corners with the components. As you see Hampton went with Cree 3W LED and I don't think you can go wrong there.

If you're looking to DIY the unit go check out ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting « Reef Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting or ModularLED.ca both offer great DIY kits but use top quality components. With LED you usually get what you pay for so don't skimp here.

pluedke

I have had fantastic luck with orphek leds. I have the pr 156 fixture and, since adding this light 6 months ago i have had serious growth in all coral. good luck

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have had fantastic luck with orphek leds. I have the pr 156 fixture and, since adding this light 6 months ago i have had serious growth in all coral. good luck

I like the look etc of the Orphek units but they don't give enough details to know exactly what LED they are using in their units. I'd have to have more details to be able to say one way or another.