Leaks suck!!!

Reefstick

I am sorry to report that I am breaking down the 75G reef tank. Last night I came home to 30 gallons of water on the basement floor, not the best thing to come home to.
Here is what I plan to do. I am taking all the fish (except the clownfish) to a 150G tank that I take care of, this way I know they wont die. The corals on the other hand are getting split, I am keeping the LPS and SPS in my 12G, and the softies are going to the LFS for credit.
I am happy with this arragement, because I have my first little one on the way, and this will free up my time for them..... kinda ironic too, I was just getting ready to buy new bulbs.... don't need them now. :(

Reef-12-1-2006A.JPG

I will miss this tank.

Warnberg

In my experience, a failuer in a glass tank happens fast. A failuer on an acrylic tank happens slow.... Usually.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that Reefstick, but your still in the game so soon enough youll be into another tank, good luck with your new addition. Steve

lcstorc

Sorry to hear about your difficulty, but glad you are staying in the hobby in some fashion. Post some new pics once everything gets moved to your nano.
Best of luck with the tank and more importantly your new addition.

Reefstick

Well, it was a long weekend.
Rachael and I moved as much coral into the 12G as we could. so the following are two pictures of the tank now packed with corals.
BTW- I went a head and hooked up the sump/refug to this tank as well. It is kinda funny to see 75G reef equipment attached to a 12G..... The skimmer is bigger than the tank. LOL!!

12G12606A.JPG

12G12606.JPG

Crapy pics sorry (crapy camera).

I only lost on animal my pistol shrimp. "RIP lil' guy"

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Cool, looks like a coral hi rise, any issues on this close quarters for the corals? are you running carbon/ Steve

Reefstick

sasquatch said:
Cool, looks like a coral hi rise, any issues on this close quarters for the corals? are you running carbon/ Steve

No problems yet, corals look great.
I didn't put any carbon on this system. However, the sump/refug. is packed with SW plants, it keeps the Nitrates pretty low, and the water doesn't smell like pissed off coral. :thumbup:
I did find my pistol shrimp last night...... in the bubble corals mouth. LOL!! I was trying to figure out why it looked so sickly. I guess that would do it. It is just too much food for the bubble, I think its eyes are bigger than its stomach. :explode:

ReefGuy69

Hey ReefStick. I dont know if i missed it but do you know why your tank leaked? Was it not level or something? Just wondering so I can avoid a catastrophy like that. I would of probably thrown the towel in.

Reefstick

ReefGuy69 said:
Hey ReefStick. I dont know if i missed it but do you know why your tank leaked? Was it not level or something? Just wondering so I can avoid a catastrophy like that. I would of probably thrown the towel in.

If I didn't love to look at the corals, I would have thrown in the towel.

There are a lot things that could have happened.
The tank is 5 years old; it was a cheap "all-glass co." tank; I moved to a new house last Jan; and I didn't reseal the tank when I set it back up 2 years ago after letting it sit for a while. Any one of these things could have caused it.
But it is very important to have the tank level, and supported properly.
I think it was a combo of things, moving the tank down to the basement of my new house with sand in it and an inch of water. I think that caused stress on the seals. Then all the little pods in the sand probably helped it the rest of the way by burrowing through the seals.

I am just glad it was only a 75G.

ReefGuy69

Thanks.. When setting mine up i always make sure to try and keep it level. Hard with carpet and padding sometimes because once you add the LR and LS it always seems to be a smidgen off. This time i am also adding about 1/2 inch of styofoam as well under my sump and tank. is this a good idea as well? or it doesnt really help.