lazy leather

Herman

Well in my new journy into keeping coral I bought some zoos, some star polyps and one leather.

c1.jpg

problem is this leather just doesnt seem happy! and to top it off i'm not sure what type he realy is! i have put him on a rock at the top and he barely opened up, then one day i came home from work and one of his roomates must have knocked him off because he was in the shade behind a rock however he looked fairly open!, I would have left him there but he was extremely hidden so I moved him this morning to the front on the bottom in the shade but he still doesnt look happy!
any body have a idea on how too make it happy? all the other corals seem to be extremely happy! in the short time I have had them I can already see growth!

Charlie97L

they can take several days to open up... also what lighting are you running? i would say that if it's a MH, the leather won't like it up at the top, necessarily. my colt coral likes it about midway and over to the side.

Dragon Wrasse

Some leathers like a little current...my toadstool didn't fully open up until I pointed a power head in its direction...what kind of flow do you have in your tank??

Herman

Im using a 260 watt compact flouresent on a 55 along with 2 wally-world power heads, I had also been using the original full spectrum light at the same time but i took them down last night, the full spectrum light made the color of the tank a more daylight looking and a warmer color but i deceided that maybe just because I think it looks nicer doesnt mean my corals do! (still have that lazy leather) now it is much more blue looking, dont know I guess i will try it like this for a while if the corals dont like it I will put them back!

Dragon Wrasse

If your making changes in your tank, lights, flow, ect. it could take a couple three days before your softie decides to come out. If I disrupt my take or make a rock change, my Golden and Toadstool, pout for a couple days the most being four days by my Golden leather as long as its not limp or disolving, I would give it time and maybe try and coach it out with a little Phyto or Zoo.

Witfull

mine usually respond withj some hand waving,,,,dislodges and thick sliming,,,,i know leathers~ i love them,,but they "tinkle" me at times

Herman

Just wanted to say thanx all for the advice! I moved my leather to a rather dark area yet he seams to realy like it! he has been looking much better!
guess he just didnt like so much light.

daveat

you should always start new corals out in a darker area to give them time to acclimate to light changes (so i've been told)