layer of film on top of water...

slb11106

i have a layer of film on the top of the water in the tank, i have the return on the top of the water but it does not clear it, any ideas on how to get rid of it ???

thanks

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
An overflow that skims the top water down into a sump to a skimmer would be the best. The film is protiens and could be removed easily with a good protein skimmer. Increasing the surface aggitation would be second best... add another power head or two?

slb11106

well i do have the overflow on the right side that takes water from the top, but the film is on the left side of the take (4' tank)90 gal

the right side has no film on it, i presume that i need to add a power head (small) pointing up to move that film to the overflow ? right ?

and i have a good protein skimmer in my sump

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes. A power head that circulates that left side over to the right would be perfect.

burning2nd

i had that problem till i got the over flow, i use to have to put bubbles in the tank every couple of hours.

Try makeing some bubbles you will notice that it kinda bead's away,

Dragon Wrasse

Woodstock said:
Yes. A power head that circulates that left side over to the right would be perfect.
Ditto on the power head or bounce the flow off the side of the tank to move the water out of that corner.....:thumbup:

slb11106

well i went and got a small powerhead, i will put that in and see if i can get rid of the dead spot. i will let you know in the morning..

prow

sounds like you may need more flow throught the tank. not just for the surface film you see. most organics will go to the top but there may just be more dead spots in the tank. effecting everything; sandbed, rocks, corals ect... something you might want to look into anyway.