Lawnmower Blenny Diet?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If you own or have ever owned a lawnmower blenny, what did/does it eat?

I purchased one a few days ago and so far it only picks at the sand, homemade mush and the glass. She seems to be very bold and enjoys exploring the rocks.

Meet "Betty" the blenny :)
20080525NewLawnmowerblenny2.jpg

SJS

My blenny - Benny - picks at the rocks, sand, snail/crab shells and will go after most of the stuff I feed to other fish - Formula One, some small pellets, mini mysis, brine.... My Benny has a big belly and doesn't seem too picky.

Betty is beautiful!!

BoomerD

AlgaeBlensArt

"Foods/Feeding/Nutrition:

These fishes are algae eaters par excellence, but not all algae. The vast majority of their diet in the wild is made up of filamentous green algae species... a bit of red (Rhodohphyte) and brown (Phaeophyte)... they don't eat all types (e.g. not "bubble", Family Valoniaceae), species, and almost entirely ignore Cyanophytes, aka Blue Green Algae... that despite its common name occurs in all colors, and shapes... blue, black, green, red... almost always slimy to the touch. Most types of prepared, meaty foods are ignored, or if taken, with not enough enthusiasm to support these fishes.

Often, with aging of a captive system, there will be a shift in the make-up of micro- and macro-life that predominates... and a valuable lesson for observant aquarists in the loss of fodder for such grazers as these blennies. The very best gauge of such incurring change is a thinning of said fishes... first in the gut area, but spreading to the upper flank musculature. Such changes can occur quickly, in days, and supplemented foods must be made available to prevent loss. Of most use are prepared foods in the form of sinking wafers and pellets that are largely algae-based. Various of these have been shown to be accepted with gusto.

Alternatively, cultured macro-algae, dried people-intended algae like Nori, Kombu... can be tried, and with familiarity are generally accepted as well. For true "die-hards" hoping to entrain natural behavior, "algae rocks" can be cultured elsewhere (as in a lighted sump) and rotated into the main system periodically. "

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Steph and BoomerD! Mine has shown no interest in the hair algae growing or the nori yet.

BoomerD

Most algae blennies starve in our tanks. It's rare to see one more than a few months old, unless the owner can get them to accept nori and other algae-based foods.

SJS

That worries me - I'll have to watch him really carefully. With as much LR (450 pounds at least) as I have he should have plenty to eat - but I'll start adding other options as well... and maybe I'll start an algae propagation tank!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Betty seems to have a great appetite. She eats nori, film algae on the glass and the hair algae! While watching my clownfish spawn, I got a few videos of her eating. I'll keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't loose weight.

deaclauderdale

Beautiful acquisition Doni and my lawnmower blenny eats silversides, cylopeez, brine shrimp, and myisis shrimp. He/she also eats algae as well.

SJS

Nice video - I love watching my blenny, he darts from rock to rock and picks at whatever catches his eye...

Octoman

_

<--- Shrek, he eats glass algae, rock algae, sand algae, nori, pellets, flakes, mysis, mush, any thing I have fed so far...

Fish Crazy

Our Lawnmower blenney would eat anything - pellets, mysis shrimp, stuff off rocks - lots of fun to watch then he got mean and started attaching new fish so he had to go

Woodstock

RS STAFF
It has been almost one month and Betty eats homemade mush, nori and algae on the sides of the glass!

20080623lawnmowerblenny002.jpg

20080623lawnmowerblenny010.jpg

What dont those things eat? They eat algae, mysis shrimp, marine cuisine, krill, plankton, emerald entree, flakes... i dont think theyre known for being hard to please... nipping at the sand is pretty normal... they get rid of uneaten foods.

NanoNewbie

I couldnt get my lawnmower blenny to eat anything. The poor little guy onlly picked algae off the glass then he took to hiding all the time and one day last week he died. I felt so bad for him. I wont get any more fish that are strickly herbivores to hard to feed them.

I couldnt get my lawnmower blenny to eat anything. The poor little guy onlly picked algae off the glass then he took to hiding all the time and one day last week he died. I felt so bad for him. I wont get any more fish that are strickly herbivores to hard to feed them.

So bizzare... never heard of a lawnmower who wouldnt eat... my bros had his a year or so, its an absolute pig...