Lava Rock Good Or Bad?

BigJay

unless you paid a lot of money for it , its most likely natural lava rock and can be very dangerous for a reef tank. Man made lava rock is sold specifically as such and pretty expensive. If your not sure I'd take it out personally.

chriswho

The reason natural lava rock is so dangerous is that it may contain heavy metals that can leach into your tank. Am I right?

hma

The reason natural lava rock is so dangerous is that it may contain heavy metals that can leach into your tank. Am I right?

in principle yes BUT .... it isn't heavy metal which is that dangerous in the long therm ... it is sulfur/sodium-sulfur and something like that; materials which solve in sea water very fast and poison the water and ALL animals.

cbrownfish

True lava rock is siliceous, based on silicates. You do not want to introduce a silcate based product into a reef tank IMO (most would agree). With that said, I recommend aragonite sand but know folks who have used silcate based sand in a reef tank.

It is kind of like having lead paint in your house. Can you live around it and not die? Sure. But let a small child chew on a painted window sill and you have a BIG problem. Not unlike the RO/DI water debate. Do people have successful tanks using tap water. Sure. Do they have a higher risk of adding a toxin or metal into the tank? Yes.

nikkipigtails

I not only agree with all of the above, but if you take a close look at it, lava rock is extremely porus and I think detritus would settle into it and become a nitrate factory.