LA Reefs...are they still in business?

Jaeden

Only reason I ask is I placed an order with them this past Monday, PayPal was processed and funded, but it's been stuck in "Processing" status on their website ever since. I've tried 3 emails so far trying to get any update or a "We're still here" message...nothing. If they are out of stock on the items ordered and just haven't updated the site...I'm cool with that, just would like to know what's going on since the money has already been taken.

Anyone placed an order with them recently who can say if the "doors are still open and lights still on"?

Thanks

catran

Not recently, but he may be on vacation. Pm Louis through RS, he's responded within 24 hours every time I've pm'd him with a question...

I emailed them several months ago and received a promt reply, have not ordered though as I'm waiting for out of stock goods. I agree with Cat, try a PM. Good luck!

Jaeden

PM'd "LA Reefs" member, not sure if that's the Louis person you speak of. I'm still pretty new here so I'm not sure if that's the same person, but it seemed the likely contact for them on here.

Jaeden

Louis got back to me bright and very early this morning. Looks like they've been having some email issues, but all's well. Says my shipment should go out tomorrow.

Jaeden

Just an update on my delivery. Louis sent them as promised, they arrived this morning. The shrooms and zoa's I ordered look great, probably 4x the size of the ones I got from Fosters & Smith. One of the shoom frags came with two on it instead of just the single! Bonus! All bags were arranged in the styrofoam shipping container to restrict them banging around, packaged very neatly with heat sealed bags. Other than the original delay in shipping...I'm very satisfied with the packing and corals. A+

Jaeden

Here are the pics as requested :)

Here you can see the Ricordea (liveaquaria), the frag with the True Blues from Louis at LA Reef, and moving further around...the two miserable and tiny shrooms from Liveaquaria. They are a little upset due to superglue (they detached and wouldn't stay put so I stuck em), but honestly they don't get much larger.

and, Super Hero Zoa's just starting to open after adding them, and the Superman shroom from LA Reef (it's frag rubble had nice red coraline and even some tiny tubeworms on it).

Jaeden

After checking out the Zoanthids once they've opened, I'm inclined to think they look more like Eagle Eyes than what LA Reef has listed/shown as Super Hero on their site. I'm not upset either way...it's still a lovely zoa. Take a look at the pics below, and see if you agree with me. (this is more for me to positively identify my livestock than to say anything negative about LA Reef)

Here's a shot of my zoa's in the tank:

Now here's an image of Eagle Eyes for comparison:

Finally, here's the image from LA Reef's site for Super Hero's:

I know lighting makes a big difference in coloration...but I don't think it can change it enough in this situation. Like I said, I'm happy with my healthy and attractive livestock...just don't think it is the same as what was posted. The mushrooms look spot on though.

Jaeden

Nice! I like the Superhero's!

Yeah I liked the way they looked too, but that's not what I was sent. I think the ones I got sent were Eagle Eyes (see my last post). Either way they are still pretty and very healthy.

Yeah I liked the way they looked too, but that's not what I was sent. I think the ones I got sent were Eagle Eyes (see my last post). Either way they are still pretty and very healthy.

May at least be worth an inquiry if you feel you were not sent what you ordered. Just don't jump down there throats about it (you don't seem like that type). Coming from a manager, I am always more likely to help people that don't start screaming at me upon sight.

Jaeden

Oh I wouldn't jump down their throats at all. If I contacted them it would only be to let them know that I think they got the shipment wrong, constructive feedback. I'm content with what I got shipped even if it wasn't quite what I wanted, just tryin to be certain of the ID of what I ended up with is all.

[Update] Talked with Louis, sent him a courteous feedback email about the mix up so he'd know for packaging etc. He was very nice, and even though I didn't ask, he automatically refunded the purchase amount for the erroneous item. I have to say I'd heartily recommend these folks (and Louis) to anyone on the forum. A+ customer service, and were it not for the email server problems they were having, there probably wouldn't have even been the short delay in shipping. Happy reefing!

Last edited: