Kyle's Reef

LSUFireGal

Thought it might be time for me to start a chronicle for my son's reef tank. He has been begging for one since he was 3. He is seven now and I hate myself for not doing it sooner. It has given me a glimpse into his heart that a parent of an autistic child can only dream of. I see him grow a little more everyday bc of the tank and wanting to learn all about it.

It is kind of pathetic right now except for some mushrooms it is practically FOWLR.

The replacement tank is 60 gallons has about 115 lbs of live rock, 1.5 inch sand bed.

Livestock:
Scopas Tang
Orange and white occ clown
Black and white occ clown
3 Stripe Damsel

Other than the b&w clown the fish were in the original 68 gallon that burst when I bought it.

I have a aqua c remora skimmer with a maxi jet 1500 on it. I have two canister filters. (I know, I know, but my numbers are good and I clean them weekly. Installing a sump is not in my budget or realm of capabilities right now anyway.). I have PAR38 tricolor lighting (4). The tank is running well and even with the emergency move to the new tank my tests have been great.

My son wants an anemone so bad but I am a bit hesitant to add one, the tank was running for 5 years when I bought it so I think things are pretty mature and stable, but I can't even bring myself to buy a new coral, much less a nem.

The first new fish I purchased was a blue tang, yes I knew better. Try explaining to an autistic child he can't get a blue tang when the "EXPERT" in the store told him he could. Ugh. Of course she went straight into QT and got ich. Treated her with hypo and all seems good, in the process of raising the salinity now. Hopefully she stays ich free and can go in the display.

I have purchased a biocube for my sons room, otherwise he would still be sleeping on the floor of the living room by the tank. It was well established and is running along fine. Guess it needs its own chronicle.

Some pics:
18FE609E-7D0F-4FA3-9B90-7E9EE6F2EA1B-3203-0000035A1A3ABCB3.jpg

4C3FED09-9A92-40D6-B37D-7461E1196BB9-1509-0000018DC655642E.jpg

0B55845D-91B7-4434-A454-37A1F448597F-1509-0000018DBD39B3CC.jpg

E7349EA5-9ECB-4E45-88E5-FC3A89E1552F-17524-0000129A6238BF3F.jpg

Creekview

Congrats and good luck on your son's tank. Both of my girls (very grown up now) got parked in front of a 150 gallon custom FW instead of TV when they were babies. Had a school of tin foil barbs and tiger barbs that they watched intently. You have taken a great step in helping your son find focus and interest that is so critical at his age. I look forward to following your chronicle.

AJ REEF

How lucky can you get?! Your autistic son is into marine life! Keep us posted on your build. When you are ready I will send you a RBTA. Tell us a bit more of what he likes and what you think is do able in his tank. And BTW my hats off to you. Raising an autistic child is a challenge that cannot be measured. Good luck with this build!

LSUFireGal

I just love when people understand what it means that he has opened himself up to this little ecosystem. I have been surprised at how much I enjoy it too. A little background...I have a pretty severe phobia of fish. I have had to put it aside and I have just fallen in love with the fish. My favorite is the biocube though. I love being able to see their whole world happening right in front of me. Plus the jawfish and Pom Pom crab are so fun to watch.

The night the hippo tang came down with ich he sat beside the QT whispering softly please don't die, please don't die, over and over again. It was the first time I ever saw spontaneous compassion, I usually have to explain those kinds of things to him. When I watch him standing in front of the tank watching his fish I almost cry, it is the only time other than when he is asleep that he is truly anxiety free. It is the only time he isn't rocking or humming or wringing his hands. Those moments keep me sane, and make me feel like I get to really see who he is.

I have been amazed watching Kyle care deeply for the fish, it is rare to see an actual connection between an autistic child and something that doesn't actively seek his attention. I am so thankful for every moment he spends in the living room with us, finally he likes being somewhere besides his room.

LSUFireGal

A local reefer was nice enough to gift my son three frags. He loves them! He loves watching the zoas open up when the lights come on.

Added the hippo tang after her hypo treatment and an additional 3 weeks of watching for spots. She is doing great!

Some pics.

Dory enjoying the length of the display tank:
C135053F-E04F-4AEE-9AAD-2BAD96C833AE-13872-000010E47BE99FD2.jpg

The frags:
ED57B564-44A9-4201-883B-CADD1F4EA6E4-7617-000008FDECFC31BA.jpg