koran angel..!!!!! what to do

lcstorc

It says they are reef safe as juviniles but may pick at clams etc.
All angels are a risk as far as corals.
Personally, I say no, but it is your tank and your coral.

ReefLady

Staff member
I agree with Lynn. Your decision, but I would not. We attempted a couple times over the course of our reef tanks to keep small Angels - Flames & Lemon Peel. Some were good for almost a year. Eventually they all picked at corals. Even when fed a good, meaty diet. They seem to prefer LPS.
Other people have had better experiences. I would personally not risk it.
The juvenille Koran is definitely a striking fish.

degibson84

im sure michael will have a say on this topic.

i know he keeps angels and 'flies in a reef with no problems.

jjohnson3

My heart literally stopped when I saw this fish.......When I get my bigger tank set up I will have a Regal Angel in it. The tank will be a reef as well. Michael has inspired me to do so! :)

michael_cb_125

What size tank do you have. That plays a big part as well. The Koran Angels do get large (14"). I have not personally had this species, but many of the people that I know who keep Korans, say that they are not a good reef choice, and the only inverts that they are likely to ignore are large anemones, and some mobile inverts.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that these fish drastically change appearance from juveniles to adults.

I am a huge advocate for angels in reef tanks, but this is one that I would reserve only for large FOWLR.

Adults:
pomacanthus_semicirculatus.jpg

7793124F04664A0EB86470B8F2C0B821E.jpg

~Michael

degibson84

i was thinking the same thing with the size and coloration change.

im thinking you would be better off with a dwarf angel.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Take a good look at the mouth in the photos Michael posted. It is specialized for eating coral. There is no such thing as hit or miss with this species.

It will eventually eat your reef like Pac-Man! Wah-ah-wah-ah-wah-ah-wah-ah :grr:...................................

ZAPCOnj

What size tank do you have. That plays a big part as well. The Koran Angels do get large (14"). I have not personally had this species, but many of the people that I know who keep Korans, say that they are not a good reef choice, and the only inverts that they are likely to ignore are large anemones, and some mobile inverts.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that these fish drastically change appearance from juveniles to adults.

I am a huge advocate for angels in reef tanks, but this is one that I would reserve only for large FOWLR.

Adults:

~Michael

just out of curiosity, what angels would you recommend to "try" in a Reef tank?

michael_cb_125

Obviously any of the angels (genicanthus being the exception) pose some risk in a reef tank. Most of the pygmy angels are a relatively safe choice, with some being better than others. A few dwarf angels that some to mind are the Potters, Flame, Flame Back, Fishers, Cherub, Rusty, and Joculator and a few others.

For large angels it can really be hit and miss. For the most part many of the large angels are fine with SPS corals. It is the LPS and Zoanthus that are in the greatest danger. But a few large angels that I would have no issues with adding to my reef tank are the Regal, Majestic, Blueface, Blue Line, Goldflake, Conspic, Bandit, Bluespot, Griffis and a few others. Again remember that any fish can take a liking to corals, and there are many factors that determine whether or not a fish will eat corals.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Abesolutely!!!

It all boils down to what you like most.....Fish or coral, and whether you are willing to take risks.

~Michael

Adults:

~Michael
its a 145gallon tank with lots of live rock! i saw a fish like him at my local reef shoppe this place is top notch too! its not no cheap pet store with a couple of tanks this place specializes in coral and reef tanks and i saw a koran angel in his tank with corals and he was 89 bucks! but still th fact is he mixed it with his coral.... what to do..

rmlevasseur

Genicanthus bellus is the only angel that I have never heard a complaint about in a reef tank. I've noticed lately that many of the online stores are getting them, so perhaps they are seasonal. Even though they are not as pretty as many angels, I am thinking about getting one for compatibility reasons.