Kole Tang and White Cheek Tang Compatibility

Jakets

I'm looking into getting a Yellow eyed Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus). But Love my whitecheek (Acanthurus nigricans) I have had for over a year.
I'm wondering compatibility of these two Tangs and weather they will get along.

The White cheek I would say is now 3 inches long, while the Kole I'm looking at is very young and small perhaps only 1 inch long.

Thanks
Jason

BoomerD

The odds are not good for compatability. You don't say how large your tank is, but since the white cheek has been in there for a year, he will certainly be dominant, and will torment & harrass the kole ( which are some of the most mild tempered tangs).

mps9506

I would agree with boomerd.
How large is that tank? I've noticed that smaller tangs don't seem to acclimate very well or ship very well when I get them at the shop. So keep that in mind when buying these guys.
Also with Koles, make sure their mouth is not in any way damaged as they have a delicate mouth that is easily damaged and will cause them to starve rather quickly.
I think you are better off getting a tang with a less similar body shape, like a Zebrasoma sp.
Mike

Jakets

Thanks. I think I will not get it. I only have a 75G and the thought of two tangs is something I would harass others for. It was a week momment that has passed.

Thanks for you help.
J
I really need a 300G tank

BoomerD

I certainly don't blame you for wanting a Kole tang. They're one oif my favorites. Not as colorful as most of the rest, but what a great tank cleaner & wonderrful community fish. Always "mouthing" everything trying to get off specks of algaes, friendly, eats outta my hand, just a great fish. Of course, most of my fish will eat out of my hands, fortunately, no triggers or eels! Been there...The only possible way I can see that this might work, is if you were to catch out the White Cheek,put him in a quarantine tank for a week, do a major re-arrangement of the rockscaping in your tank, release the kole first, then add the white cheek back in after the week . That would give the Kole a bit of time to adjust, and sort of become the dominant "first in " fish, that hte white cheek might accept. not sure...it's dicey at best.

Mebigloser

I just placed a Kole tang and a Yellow tang in my tank last night, as soon as they get settled I wlll get a picture of them.

Tang compatibilty?

This is a question I get a lot at my work!!! Tangs have always been a very sought after species and can be expensive. But as we all know being in this hobby holds each one of us responsible for not only our own tanks but the natural reefs across the world. So we must think and research every choice that is put into our systems. (That is why reefsanctuary is very helpful!) But When we are faced with questions like tang compatibility we must all look to see what would happen if things went worng. For ex: One gets stressed and then gets sick and causes snowballing affect on your system. And then once we for see problems see what things we can do to prevent them from happening. (dark periods, rock arranging in this case.) And if we all did this the hobby would begin to grow and stabilize better!
Thanks and good luck!
Marinelover