KNOP HD Calcium Reactor / advice

Brucey

Hi guys / girls. Well I've always been pretty keen on buying the best hardware for my Marine Tank and have a high SPS population . . . . . but for some reason have always shy'd away from calcium reactors. I guess I've heard so many stories on how difficult they are to set up and all the plumbing that goes with them. I've always relied on Kalk replacement of my evap water. But yesterday I acquired a good condition second hand "KNOP HD Calcium Reactor" . . . . but with no instructions. I've set it up as best as I can . . . with 30 bubbles a minute going through the bubble counter, the standard EHEIM pump driving the media and approx 60 drops per minute of effluent going into the tank. I have a PH computer doing nothing but this is currently not connected to anything.

So, can anyone offer me ANY advice on running Calcium Reactors. The do's and do nots, what I should be aiming for, what i should be adjusting and if anyone has particular experience with this reactor even better.

Thanks in advance everybody. Hope your all well
Brucey

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry, can't help ya Brucey :(

...BTW... I think it's time for you to post new pics to your gallery!!! :D

Brucey

HAHAHAHAHA Doni. Yeah yeah I know I know. Waiting for the future mother in law to return the digi camera at the moment to take some new pics . . . . esp my Emp Angel who is 2/3 of his way through to his adult colours which is amazing . . . . and I have loads of new SPS's that I need to take pics of for future reference . . . . . . But just to keep you happy, here's one of my boy instead. LOL. Ive taken lots of him recently but none of the reef. hahahah

Attachments

• IMGP2064.JPG
    IMGP2064.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 30

Gina

RS STAFF
Can't help you with the calcium reactor either Brucey but, just wanted to say I can't believe how much he's grown! Beautiful baby!

I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out with your reactor.

Brucey

Hey Doni / Gina. yep he's a little darling . . . . i've never known a baby smile so much in my life. Everybody comments on it. 6 Months old now and whatever mood he's in, come rain or shine, sit him in front of the reef and he just loves it.

Mike, that's a great link. many thanks . . . . one for the bookmarks.
Brucey

Gina

RS STAFF
Brucey said:
whatever mood he's in, come rain or shine, sit him in front of the reef and he just loves it.

Any bets here as to what age he will be when he has his first set up?
I say, um......7 years!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brucey said:
....and whatever mood he's in, come rain or shine, sit him in front of the reef and he just loves it.

I am the same way! ...a bit older but i know how he feels! :D

Brucey

OK guys, back onto a serious note, can anyone offer any advice or reasons why you should run a Kalk reactor in line with a cacium reactor . . . . . the only one i can come up with is to raise PH levels where the calcium reactor tends to drive PH down. Any thoughts ???????
Brucey

mps9506

I think you are correct in that thinking Brucey. Typical effluent levels for the Ca reactor would be around 6.8 or lower, so I'm guessing to raise the pH of the effluent. However I personally don't understand how it would work properly...
I personally would use the Kalk reactor as an auto top off and method to maintain high pH, and use the Calcium reactor seperately to maintain pH and alk levels.
those are my thoughts anywho.