KMP's - 70g Oceanic Tech Tank Build

KMP

One year into the hobby - I'm hooked. Started out with an Aquapod 24 to get my feet wet. Learned lots by setting up that tank and soaking up the great information from this site and others - thanks to everyone that's helped me along the way.

Last week, I went with a buddy to pick up his new 90g Oceanic Tech Tank and while there we found out the tanks were 20% off. Next to his 90g was a nice 70g and since I had a 36" light (1 - 250w MH, 2 - 96w Actinics, 4 - moonlights - 442w) I made the plunge and now have a new build underway.

I'll document the progress here; and, I'm sure along the way I can will lean on the pro's for some advice. So far, this is what I have:

- 70g Oceanic Tech Tank
- Oceanic 20g Sump (used)
- Maple stand and canopy
- Aquatraders 442w (250w MH, 192w PCs)
- ASM G3 Skimmer
- (2) Oceanrunner 2500's (650gph)
- (1) Oceanrunner 3500 (900gph)
- Aqualogic Delta Star 1/4hp Chiller (used)
- Aqualogic Dual Stage Controller (used)
- SCWD wave maker

Those items listed as "used" were great deals I got off of Craigslist. The 20g Oceanic Sump will be replaced in favor of a custom sump built by SoCal Creations. The Aqualogic Chiller will be sold and replaced with a Prime Tower Chiller. Both were great deals I got off of Craigslist and now are being sacrificed to maximize space under my 36" stand.

I've got lots of ideas for this tank - keep peaking in to see the progress. Here's the tank and stand...

28757.jpg

KMP

Mod 1 - Circulation.

I realize the SCWD is not the best wave maker around. Seems it's surrounded by controversy - some really like them - others do not. Well, I got this one new from another reefer for 25 shipped so I figured it was worth a try. An Oceanrunner 3500 (950gph) will be pushing water from the sump, through the return, and into the tank via the SCWD. The plumbing is 3/4" PVC with 2 outlets on each side of the overflow and one in each front corner...

28758.jpg

KMP

tank is 36"W x 24"T x 18"D. the stand i picked up from a lfs, very well made and the price was right!

I like the start of the mod, got me thinking about doing a little modding on my tech tank. Hope you dont mind me tagging along.

KMP

No worries, tag along my friend. I've decided to drill some holes in the front corners as opposed to dumping it in where it currently is on the front. Good thing PVC is cheap :D

KMP

Been doodling around thinking of a sump/fuge design. Here's what I've come up with. Critiques welcome.

Another plaguing issue I'm trying to understand is the pumps. A 650gph will
be running water through the chiller and into the skimmer. A 900gph will be the return pump. Is this a problem? Can you have different size pumps or will the larger pump drain the sump? The overflow is rated at 600gph.

28818.JPG

KMP

Cooling...

Did some modding to the fans. Now why do you reckon I did this?

Before (right) and After (left):

28849.jpg

Before:

28847.jpg

After:

28848.jpg

Before (right) and After (left):

28846.jpg

lcstorc

Looks like you are off to a great start. The one thing I would change on the sump is that I would move the return from the chiller away from the chiller intake. With them right next to each other you are likely to chill the same water repeatedly and the tank will get hotter than the chiller is set for since the water in the chiller will already be cooled.
We originally had a design similar to yours but changed it so now the return from the chilller goes into a manifold system on the top of the tank. We needed to get a bigger pump because of the head loss but other than that it works great.

KMP

Lynn, that's a great point on the chiller return. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Back to the drawing board :D

KMP

OK, wheels are turning on the chiller return issue. Let me explain how this will be plumbed and then I have another idea...

Looking at the diagram, the small top hole would have flex tubing drawing water in. The second small hole would have flex tubing coming back into the sump, but hooked directly to the pump which is pushing water to the skimmer.

Regarding the skimmer. The ASM G3 is up for sale as it's been moved to the side for an ETSS Red Devil Twin Tower skimmer. The design of this skimmer brings water in from the top and comes out low in front. So, I could feasibly add a partition between the chiller intake and the pump/skimmer.

Make sense? Critique away.

Another thought is; if I were to plumb the skimmer to exit directly into the refugium area via a bulkhead would that create to much disruption (water flow) in the refugium?

If the sump was set up like this, a partion wall would not be necessary as there woud be continuos plumbing from the chiller, through the pump, through the skimmer and out into the refugium preventing the chilled water from ever mixing with the water coming in from the tank. So I guess the question is; is flow in the refugium a bad thing?

lcstorc

You definitely want flow in the fuge but not too much. I believe the recommendation is 4 times the volume for a fuge. You want enough to keep things flowing good and keep the cheato tumbling if you have it.

KMP

Been doing some tinkering and got some new gear - updated pics below:

AquaC EV-120 (can you believe this is used - gotta great deal on it):

29186.jpg

Current Prime Tower Chiller 1/3 HP:

29188.jpg

Plumbing ready for SCWD and fan mounted. Decided to simplify the SCWD plumbing since I have 2 Tunze 6025's that will help w/flow.

29189.jpg

Lights mounted:

29187.jpg

Just another full tank shot:

29185.jpg

rgarofalo

do you have pictures of the inside of the canopy where it rests on the tank
and the inside of the stand. I want to build that setup for mine
Thanks
Ron