Kim’s 120 Possibilities

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
bit of research, MJ 1200 = 295 gph
Rio 1400 = 375 gph
Rio 1400+ = 420 gph
Check your pump, you may have a + impeller in there, just seems like too mucj pump to me, if you have an mj try that instead??

KimPossible

Kim, when do you find time to work on your tank and enjoy it when you're so busy making TV shows? You're on Disney, aren't you? Our daughter loves your show. :D
LOL ! my daughters love that show too.... I walk around the house singing this song !

Ooohh yeahh yeah
I'm your basic average girl
And I'm here to save the world
You can't stop me
Cause I'm Kim Pos-si-ble
There is nothin I can't do
When danger calls
Just know that I am on my way

It doesn't matter where or
When there's trouble
If ya just call my name
Kim Possible

KimPossible

that thing still not right? could you put some pics up for us, close up of neck and bubbles? this is sounding a bit weird

Ok Sas, I'll take the pics when I get home tonight, its' gonna be late, I'm preparing for my trip to San Fran :) I've got to cover all my bases in the office for the time off ~

I think I'm aquarium equipment impared. I love to work on anything and everything, older cars, computers, radios, replace household fixtures, sprinklers... I like to tinker.... but when it comes to tank equipment....sheesh !

KimPossible

Ok, I finally got home and mixed up 20 gallons of saltwater and added 10 gal. to my auto top off bin. Here are the pics of the skimmer.

skimmer_w_pump.jpg

This is the intake arm as it shipped to me.
Directions: Simply push the output nozzle of the pump directly into the 3/4" ID flexible hose at the end of the skimmer's intake arm. The Remora is NOT designed to be used with the venturi accessory if you are using the Rio 1400. No other fittings are needed, and do not use the venturi attachment that comes with the pump.

skimmer_intake1.jpg

KimPossible

And this is the email from Aqua C in response to my comments of not using any of the products that were suggested would cause "soapy skimmate"

Hi Kim,

It does sound like the skimmer's reacting to something - the Rio 1400 shouldn't be too powerful for that skimmer. Sometimes, residues on new filter socks, pads, and even new RO filters can cause that type of reaction. How large is the tank, and how heavily is it stocked? Rio pumps come with a ball valve that can be used to adjust pump flow - you might want to install that for the time being, to prevent the skimmer from producing this excessive foam. A good test is to run the skimmer on a bucket of sterile saltwater, made with plain tap water (no dechlorinators) and the appropriate amount of salt to get it up to the correct salinity. The skimmer should produce plenty of bubbles in the reaction chamber (inside the skimmer, directly below the injector), but without anything to hold those bubbles together, little to no foam.

Thanks again, and let me know how things go!
- - - - - - - - - - -

Steve Prince
Customer Service Manager

tbittner

And that is a good idea from Aqua C. It would at least isolate where the problem is. Either the skimmer or something in the water in your tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
what a search lol, the red impeller is a 1400 the blue is a 1400 +, its too strong a pump, found this on another site so have a read

Rio has upgraded some of their pumps so I thought I would give 1 a try so I bought the new Rio 1400plus pump to replace my old 1400 for my Remora Pro skimmer. The new pumps have a slightly larger motor and a new larger impeller with a ceramic shaft, ceramic bearings and rare earth magnet. However when I hooked up the new pump it was obvious it had a much greater flow rate and had to add a flow control valve.
So far I'm very impressed with the new pump. It's very quiet, starts right up even after turning the power on and off. It also has a UL rated 3 prong plug and power cord , something the old pumps didnt have.

KimPossible

Thanks Sas, I appreciate your searching :) Did the poster mention any adverse consequences for switching to the larger 1400 on his/her Remora Pro?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, its too much for the skimmer and it floods, it was designed around the mj 1200, the rio was an upgrade, the 1400+ is over the top

KimPossible

Hey Sas, I have the Remora C PRO, of the 3 in the Remora line that Aqua C offers. I have not tried the MJ yet. I understand the hole bigger is better thing, and that is why I chose a Remora Pro for my tank, I don't want bigger is better and I want the pump that is going to work with my skimmer and tank. This is how they sold it, I bought the package and did not compare pump rates to get maximum juice.

"The Remora Pro is a larger, more powerful version of our popular Remora. This skimmer is capable of handling a 120 gallon fully stocked. The Pro is available with two different pump options - the Rio 1400 or the Mag Drive 3. If you have a larger tank without a sump, the Remora Pro might be the skimmer for you." ~

"The Remora is an efficient hang-on skimmer that does not require the use of a sump. Simply hang it on the back of your tank, plug it in, and you're ready to go. Just like our larger EV models, the Remora is driven by a powerful spray injector and a Maxi Jet 1200 pump."

"The Nano Remora is virtually identical to the standard Remora, except that we shortened the overall height of the skimmer so that it would fit on a nano reef. Driven by a Maxi Jet 900, this skimmer is capable of maintaining excellent water quality on smaller systems."

KimPossible

The Remora has been running in my Brute trash filled with fresh salt water for tonight's water change for about 20 minutes now.
Ok, there is no foam. The bubbles appear large.
"The skimmer should produce plenty of bubbles in the reaction chamber (inside the skimmer, directly below the injector), but without anything to hold those bubbles together, little to no foam"
Here's what I see....
01.jpg

02.jpg

Are bubbles ONLY supposed to form directly below the injector and not in the neck? I don't know what the heck is going on.

I don't have any anything in my tank but lightly stocked fish, lightly stocked coral, cheato, 2 heaters, a chiller, auto top off, carbon and phosguard. I frequently starve my fish :D I do not give them food everyday. I'm not a doser and I never add any type of treatments.

I live by my water changes and everything tests fine, Including elements.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's what mine looked like when I set it up. Eventually as DOCs built-up in the tank, it started producing skimmate. At first I thought it wasn't working properly. Give it some more time.