kH levels?

Sarah03

My tang has been kind of sick for a while now and I called the fish store and they told me that my kH levels could be affecting it. I don't know what kH levels are and I was wonder if someone could help me out? My anenome is also closed but my other fish don't seem to be affected. Any thought. Please help!:smirk:

STAR RIDGE

kh is the carbonate hardness of the water. this is the buffering capacity and helps stablize the ph. this helps to minimize ph swings within the day due to photosystesis. the kh also i believe assists in the uptake of oxygen and the processing of carbon. i think it may be a stretch to say the kh is effecting you fish health. someone else may know of a relationship between the two that i am forgetting. i would get a kh test kit as it is essential for reef keeping. joe.

You should have an Alkalinity test kit. (Salifert makes an excellent one). Keep yout Alk level between 7-11 dKH. Use a two part adative like b-Ionic daily to maintain your calcium and Alkalinity levels. I also think the low ALK is not the cause of the illness, though low Alk can lead to a variety of water quality problems. It would be helpful if you posted all the tank information, ie how long its been up, contents, filtration system etc. Also include water paramaters such as Ammonia, Nitrate, and pH, as well as Alkalinity and Calcium.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Sarah, first things first, the whole water chemistry thing is a little confusing. Could you tell us what tests you perform? whats the salinity level and how often and how much water you change, how big is your tank and how long has it been running, once we get these things I think theres a better chance of finding a solution. Steve

Sarah03

My tank is 32 gallons, I change 10 gallons a week, my salinity is at 1.021 My pH is around 8 and my nitrates are between 5 and 10. M ytank has been running for six or seven months now.

kyle1284

i have been having the exact same problems with KH but keep in mind KH and Calicum run hand in hand.... so check your calcium levels and let us know!

corallimorph

Has been struck by the ban stick
kyle1284 said:
i have been having the exact same problems with KH but keep in mind KH and Calicum run hand in hand.... so check your calcium levels and let us know!
I have run many systems for many years.....and based on my personal experience have to say that i disagree 100% with the above "hand -in hand "comment...it's just not that simple,you can have high KH with low calcium and visa versa...and all kinds of combinations in between...depends on YOUR systems demands,and/or equipment,supplements,reactors,amounts of buffers,two part
suppliments,photoperiod,bioload,waterflow,waterchanges,etc......
If they went hand in hand....why would you need a second test kit?,why would anyone make one?..sorry Kyle nothing personal,i just could not stay silent on this one.-Dave

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Sarah, ok well I think 100 % water change a month is TOO much, 10 to 20 % is a good place to start, at this point please go on a mission, your mission should you choose to accept it is this, take 1 qt of tank water to your lfs and have every test done that they can do, report back with the results and we'll go thru it step by step OK? Steve