Kevin's little 5 gallon pico

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Added "Scarlet" the egg-laden cleaner shrimp today. Will get some pics when she's less shy.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Added "Scarlet" the egg-laden cleaner shrimp today. Will get some pics when she's less shy.

Sometimes I wish my two egg-laden Scarlets would be a lot more shy. They attack my hand & grab pieces of food from me and the corals if I don't give them some 1st. :yup: looking forward to your pictures! :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sometimes I wish my two egg-laden Scarlets would be a lot more shy. They attack my hand & grab pieces of food from me and the corals if I don't give them some 1st. :yup: looking forward to your pictures! :D

Overnight she has lost all her shyness and came after me (or rather the food) when I was feeding the acans this morning LOL :)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Having some issues with aiptasia that came with the zoas so I decided to throw in a juvenile Double Saddle Butterflyfish (about 1.5 inches) and within 10 mins, it has dealt with all of the aiptasia (about 10 from what I could see). Now to get the fellow out after a job well done :)

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Not much to update other than the pico is undergoing the usual diatom stage. Will be moving a big colony of zoas from my main tank over to the pico tomorrow. Currently its being worked on by the aiptasia terminator in the sump :)

9549655647_506113eb5e_b.jpg

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Managed to get a shot of "Scarlet" today after she came out to feed :)

9556460438_2c291f5249_b.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Have you tried handing Scarlet a small piece of krill or shrimp? In order to feed my corals I have to hand over a piece of food to my 2. It's funny how they grab it and yank it away with more force than you'd think they could have. After I give one a piece, the other one knows it's next. :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Have you tried handing Scarlet a small piece of krill or shrimp? In order to feed my corals I have to hand over a piece of food to my 2. It's funny how they grab it and yank it away with more force than you'd think they could have. After I give one a piece, the other one knows it's next. :D

Yes, looks like its the only way to distract them away from our coral feeding routine lol

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Couple of updates today. Firstly I've got myself the Rio Nano Skimmer to replace my current HOB and I've moved the Ricordea from the main tank over to the pico. Sorry couldn't resist to shoot it under actinics :) Now just waiting for the skimmer to break in.

9567680843_63798d8c51_c.jpg

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Good to see the skimmer breaking in within 24 hours and started to produce some early skimmate :)

9574991129_7575713d5c_c.jpg

And a full tank shot again lol. Still have some empty space at the bottom left and wonder if I should get a small colony of gsp...hmmm

9575123573_06c01a011e_c.jpg

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Added "Blitz" the Berghia Nudibranch today. He's gonna have a good time dining on the aiptasia :)

9597735415_17c041beaf_c.jpg

koolcat

Very nice pictures and corals but if you don't mind me asking, what type of camera and lens you use to take these pictures? I'm assuming you have some type of Macro lens?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Very nice pictures and corals but if you don't mind me asking, what type of camera and lens you use to take these pictures? I'm assuming you have some type of Macro lens?

Thanks :) I'm using the Canon EOS 6D with a Canon EF100mm f2.8 macro lens.