Kessil A160WE or Radion XR15w Pro

Swaefa

I am new to reefing and have done quite a bit of research on my lighting options. I have narrowed down my options to two. The tank is a Red Sea Reefer Nano. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

DaveK

Either one will work fine. They are both excellent LED fixtures. The differences come down to the features that each one has, and how the mounting your going to use will look over your tank.

Generally, I'd say the Kessil is a little less expensive, and the Radion can do a few more tricks, but these are really not major considerations.

Lastly, both of these fixtures are pendant type fixtures and tend to direct light straight down. Normally,this often means to get the tank looking good, with out any dark ends or corners, you usually need more than one fixture. However, you should be able to get away with one because a Red Sea Reefer Nano is only 18 inches long.

Antics

I personally prefer the look of Kessil, but software wise (and programing) the Radion is vastly superior. The Kessil will require an additional 100$ controller just to set it up on a timer and use a GUI to control your spectrum and intensity. The Radion is much easier to customize to your liking. With that being said, I'd still probably go for the Kessil because I love the light and shimmer.

chipmunkofdoom2

Just to add one more opinion to the mix... I prefer the simplicity of the Kessil, honestly. I like the concept of choosing the color and intensity separately. That and I just love their novel approach to focusing optics.

As Dave said, though, they're both fantastic fixtures. Since LEDs are more akin to a laptop computer than a simple plug-and-play light fixture, you really have to evaluate on features and ease-of-use.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've had the radion and liked it. But as stated, you can't really go wrong with either of them. Both will work really well

Choff

You can't beat the Kessil shimmer. I find all other leds to have more or less a disco ball effect. I have 360s, 160s, radion and ati hybrid led. Kessil shimmer is better than all if them. I've had great success with Kessil and not so much with NON pro radion g2.

In my opinion, I think g2 pro and g3 are equivalent to Kessil and the g3 pro is a slight bump up over the kessil. They are simply more powerful and one of the knocks on kessil is strength. Many run them at 100 pct for SPS dominant tanks. Now you have a nano, so I don't think that comes into play. One other nod to radion is its upgradable. If g4s come out, you can buy the pucks. Kessil comes with a 2 year warranty though.

Like PSU said, you can't go wrong with either. If you like shimmer, go Kessil. If that's not a big deal then go by price or physical asthetics.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk