Kenya tree not opening

Snowman

Hi all, having a problem with my Kenya tree. All was fine until yesterday, I noticed he wasn't opening. I checked all parameters and everything is normal. The only thing I see is that calcium is low (340). I did a water change on Monday. All other corals look fine. Any ideas, or suggestions?
Ammonia = 0.0
nitrite = 0.0
nitrate= 0.0
PH= 8.1
DKH= 10
SG= 1.025
temp =79deg
Calcium -=340
Thanks
Mike

bshady

id really try and raise the calcium between 420-450 for a reef tank. Kenya trees are finnicky happy one day and the next they melt away. mine have not opened one or two days and then come back. Did you change your flow lately or move the coral to somewhere else in the tank?

QuentinB

I think I have to disagree with bshady here. Yes, a reef tank should have more calcium, but a kenya tree is still a softy. And with that, soft corals kind of just do their thing. I'd give it another day or two, see if it doesn't perk up. Also, I just found your other thread saying you just set up your RSM? You may have introduced it too soon, I assume it's cycled considering your params, but its always good to give your tank time to balance itself out before adding coral...

Corailline

Kenya soft corals are one of the hardiest corals, I would make sure that another corals close to it is not bothers it with sweeper tentacles or just direct contact. And I agree if the tank is young it is most like going through changes that we do not and can not test for that sometimes contribute to the tanks stability and affect corals adversely.

Snowman

Thanks all. I just figured after the tank cycled it wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see what it does. Should I maybe move it to another location in the tank?

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My kenya tree didnt open for a couple of days then it appeared to shed and everything has been fine every since just wait a couple of days