Kenneth`s RSM 250

Koestby

Hey

Ok, a week ago i bought my first ever SW tank, the RSM 250.
The tank is used, but looks pretty good anyways. I`ve been purchasing stuff since i got it home. New lights from ATI, new heater (will post pics) Got a Deltec MC 500 coming soon.
Some liverock came with the rock, god or bad dunno.. Gotta wait and see I guess ;) I use Caribsea Aragmax Select sand mixed with some Fiji Pink. Got a RODI system Aqua Medic which I think is pretty awesome :)

I`m thinking about replacing the light hood with a ATI Sunpower fixture, because of heat issues (28-29c) but would i get more evaporation with a open tank?
Or should I just get a chiller straight ahead ?

Here`s some pics for U guys and gals ;)

Joeys Tank

Jolly good morning, Koestby, and welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

I want to wish you the best of luck as you begin your SW adventures. I am working on my first-ever tank as well so it looks like we will be classmates.

Lots of very friendly people here who are more than happy to answer questions and share their experiences. They love pics, but you will have to wait until you have 5 posts before you can put any up.

Enjoy

Koestby

Cheers Joey and back at ya. The world of saltwater is strange but very fascinating. So i cant wait to get going, btw patience isnt my strongest side but I will take it slow :)

Yeah i figured that, bummer :p Used some norwegian forums but i cba with the people. Been reading alot on here to figure out different things, and there are tons to be familiar with before doing this and that ;)

Last edited:

Koestby

I am also getting a Tunze 3155 ATO along the road, the tank has been running 1 week tommorow ( Monday). And there is starting to grow brown algae on the rocks and glass, mostly the ones that came with the tank though.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary Koestby :crowd:
and :yehoo: CHEERS for Starting a tank thread :yehoo:
Joey is right on....there's plenty of :help: with your RSM 250...You're in a good place :thumbup:
Hope you have your own test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate as that's going to see you through your cycle.
Post your actual test results here on your tank thread so we can follow along.
Have you added a deli-shrimp it tow? Only 1 more post &you will be allowed to post picture :yehoo:
I'm following your progress & excited about your RSM 250 start up ...:biker

Koestby

Post your actual test results here on your tank thread so we can follow along.
Have you added a deli-shrimp it tow?

Deli-shrimp? Can I add CUC so early in the process ?

Yeah along with the new light bulbs, I got Salifert test`s for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH so Im covered for now :)

Btw, do I need to glue rock together or is it fine just stacking em so they are stable ? Or can I use something else ? Like straps ?

Roy Page

Everyone waiting for Photos :yummy:
There are quite a few on here with very young RSM 250's or RSM C-250's including ourselves where we are at Day 71 since our first fill.
Looking forward to following your progress.

Roy

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM

Yeah along with the new light bulbs, I got Salifert test`s for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH so Im covered for now :)

Btw, do I need to glue rock together or is it fine just stacking em so they are stable ? Or can I use something else ? Like straps ?

Welcome to RS! You should wait for your cycle to complete before adding a CUC.

Here is your typical cycle. Don't worry about they days across the bottom as many factors can affect the timing (condition of live rock). The important thing to look for is the rise and fall to zero of ammonia and then the rise and fall to zero of Nitrites. Once that is done, the cycle is complete and you can do a large water change or a series of water changes to reduce Nitrates and add a CUC.

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

As far as stacking your rocks, if you can get them stable enough then there is no need for glue. However some folks will use some epoxy or even drill the rock and stick in fiber glass rods for more stability. I've always been able to stack it in such a way that none of that was necessary.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

A deli-shrimp is a raw DEAD shrimp that's purpose will be to decay in your tank. It will feed the good bacteria as ammonia from it will turn to nitrites & then to nitrates. This promotes your cycle.
Here's the kind I used: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../82991-dianakays-rsm-250-a-4.html#post1156860
And your rock will be OK not glued as long as you feel like it is not wobbly & it feels secure. Mine is not glued.
Looks like you could use MORE LR, you need about 60 pounds. Maybe a couple more big pieces. :fishy:

Koestby

Aaah now i see, about the deli shrimp :) Im not sure if I like the scape as it sits now, might be going in to Oslo this week to pick up some more LR.
The algae is spreading like fire in dry grass.. maybe the light is one for to long. Havent touched the timer since i set it up, im currently not running the skimmer because it makes quite the noise and im waiting for the Deltec to arrive, the heater is also turned off. And i still get 28-29c... Way to much right ? Gonna upload a video for the skimmer so U get the idea of noise I mean

Joeys Tank

I had read somewhere to leave the lights on for no more than 5 hours during the cycling process due to very very limited CUCs.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Try to NOT worry about the algae now...it will probably look like a green forest before it gets better but that is a normal part of tank cycle progress. Let it grow...when it gets time (it takes lots of time & patience!!) You will be amazed at the free food it gives your hungry CUC (clean up crew) :yummy:
Then they will poop & provide food for pods as the cycle of bigger life will eat them :yup: all will be good ;)

Koestby

I would say 11-12 hours ? That`s probably why the algae is coming so fast ?

Ohhh and I filled the tank with tap water, mixing with salt. Didnt have any RO water ready and i need some bigger cointainers for it =/ Only got a 60 l right now.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You could easily cut that down to 7-8 hours or shorter a day right now without any worries.

Koestby

You could easily cut that down to 7-8 hours or shorter a day right now without any worries.

Under the cycle correct ? What do U guys usually keep your lights on for? How long ?

U guys are awesome for a newbie :D