keeping that temp just right...

Tuna

ok im looking for some advise for keeping the temp in my reef tank maintained year-round. I live in New Jersey and its hot in the summer and real cold in the winter. the transitional seasons are crazy itll be like 45 degrees today and 74 tommorrow. i have fans for summer and theres a small clip-on fan facing the light. my problem is my heater. its turned all the way down and holds temp at 78 degrees. Ive had it in my sump for a clean look,but moved it recently to the top to see if it would be different(no change). Are there any devices to heat and cool the water to hold an accurate water temperature no matter what the ambient air temp?

^prolly expensive,how bout a heater that has a super accurate thermostat? then i could keep the fans always running to help maintain for rrom temp.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh dear, I think your talking a chiller now, basically it lowers the water temp going in so that the heater has to bring it back up, thats pretty stable, is your heater a standard heater or one with a seperate controller? Steve

prow

yup, a chiller and a heater is the only way to control both. but i dont think you need a chiller. 78 is all good, low infact, for a reef anyway. i keep my reef at 81-83 during the summer and adjust the chiller and heater to keep it at 79-81 during the winter.

i would say if it does not go over 83 at any time you dont need a chiller. just set the heater so the temp does not go lower than 2-3 degrees form its highest point in the day during the night. its not so much the temp as it is the fluctuations in temps that effects our corals/fish.

Melev

I use my Aqua Controller to turn on the heater as necessary. If you bought the Aqua Controller Jr, which costs $199, it would control your heaters, lights, etc... it is a very handy tool.

Using it, I'm able to turn on the heaters if the tank gets below 79F. At that point, the heater turns on long enough to bring the tank up to 79.5F and the controller shuts them off again.

Additionally, if the tank overheats for any reason, the controller turns off the lighting to stop adding more heat to the water.

I've always avoided using a chiller because of the cost factor. If you can get by with fans, be glad. You can plug your fans into a timer or use the Aqua Controller to turn them on and off as the temperature demands.

You can use a Ranco Dual Controller to do the same, and it'll run you about $100. The Aqua Controller Jr will just do so much more that I'm suggesting you go that route.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=NS1153

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
A controller is definately the way to go for you. There are several out there that will suit your needs. You could go with a plain dual temperature controller that only controls the heater(s) or chiller/fan(s); or you could get one that does a variety of tasks.

My Reefkeeper2 Controller controls/monitors a multiple of things. I have the older version Reefkeeper on my 30 cube and the newer Reefkeeper2 model on my 90 reef. The RK2 will also shut off lights at whatever temp you choose.

Instead of chiller, I use 2 sump fans. They work very, very well at lowering the temp. I have just adjusted the temperature settings on my controller for winter time (dropped 1 deg) so my current settings are Heater off at 77.5; fans on/off 78.2/78.0. These settings will keep the water temp between 77.5 - 78.2.