keeping seahorses with fish and anemones

Hey
I have a question about keeping seahorses. see I love these cute things. I really wanna get one or two but I dont if I can. In my tank now I have a hawaiian tang and a maroon clown with a BTA and another BTA. now im wondering if I can keep them in with them. like i heard they need plants to grab on too. I can do that but am I able to keep them.
Thanks

DaveK

In general no. Seahorses have much different requirements. If you must have some, set up a dedicated tank for them.

To be more specific -

Many seahorse species live in cooler water, and have a rough time at temps we keep our reefs at.

Seahorses are not fast powerful swimmers. Other fish will out compete them for any food.

Seahorses generally require modest amounts of water flow, not the massive torrents typical in a reef system.

A few species, such as dwarf seahorses, require live food.

Considering how large BTA can get, they would tend to be a death trap for seahorses.

but like what if you target feed them and my anemone is really small like 5 inch by 5inch and my water level is moderate not crazy like some reef tanks.

steved13

PREMIUM
The way I understand it, if your waterlfow is low enough to support seahorses it will be too low for a reef.

DaveK

but like what if you target feed them and my anemone is really small like 5 inch by 5inch and my water level is moderate not crazy like some reef tanks.

In a word no, as I explained previously. There are multiple reasons. Simply put your not going to be able to target feed them, and your not going to be able to keep the seahorses out of the anemone.

Don't take my word for it, check out any good reference material on keeping seahorses.

StacyS

No, for several reasons. First of all your tang and clown would have everything eaten in the tank before a seahorse could feed. Both of your fish fish have the capability of being aggressive. There would be no defense for the seahorses. It is not reccommended that you mix seahorses with other species. flow will be a problem. Lastly, I have seen a small aptasia sting my seahorse. It wasn't pretty. Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium. is a great resource.

Camille

Seahorses eat all the time like a cow in a field so unless you're going to stand for 12 hours a day next to the tank you won't be able to target feed them and even then the other fish would still probably eat all the food before the seahorses :(

Mr.Reeefer

Clownfishrule,

I was contemplating your idea that's how I stumbled upon this forum, even though I have researched online and basically know that I can't keep seahorses in my tank, I thought I would check out and see if anyone has been able to keep them In a reef tank with fish, unfortunately for both of us and many other hobbyist, can't be done