Karma names

addict

Heya Travis (or Witfull)

I have a question... is it possible to turn on the usernames when leaving karma? I noticed that people are still having to write their names in the comment box when leaving karma, when vBulletin has the capability (in the usergroup preferences) for users to view who left them karma without people having to write their names in.

I just think it might be easier, because a few new people have left karma for me (it appears) and no name was attached to it.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes making this suggestion... I just had a chance to play around with vBulletin 3.5 for a couple months, so I know that feature is in there... ;)

I think it would just make it easier on everybody, and we won't have to train the new people. :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks for speaking up, first of all.

There's an upside and a downside to that equation tho... Karma is used 99.9999% of the time here to leave positive feedback for people. But if we ever get one of them no-so-nice people here, karma can (and should) work the other way. Not many people will want to use it that way if they're not anonymous.

The other thing it can lead to is "private karma parties" - I guess that could happen with people just typing in their names, but it's just that much more effort.

Witty and I will take it into consideration... just wanted you to know why it's not already on.

:)

T

addict

Right on. :)

I understand your position. I haven't gotten any negative karma lately (knock on wood)... :D

As an argument in favor of turning it on, however, if you take away the anonymity (for negatives), it kinda makes people think twice before leaving negatives for no apparent reason, since the person they leave it for will know exactly who left it...

When I was helping out with that *cough* other site, it actually was helpful in a couple instances because a certain person was leaving negatives for people like crazy (for no reason), so it was easier to track down who was doing it and deal with the situation... without a name tied to it, it makes it that much tougher to deal with (if possible at all).

Anyway, like I said, I respect your position on this issue, and I'm fine with whatever you decide to do. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

Oh, and one other thing (I figure since you're already here, why not)... :D
Is it possible to apply the hack that also puts the breadcrumb at the bottom of the page? By 'breadcrumb', I mean the heirarchy across the top of the page that shows the 'tree' of nested forums that you're inside (the part right underneath the Reef Sanctuary logo). It's one of those things that makes navigation easier, since you can just click back to the parent forum from the bottom of the page when you're done reading, without having to scroll all the way back to the top to do it.

Once again, no pressure... I'm just politely asking. :D

ReefLady

Staff member
I'll look into the breadcrumb thing. As for someone doling out neg. karma for no reason, It all gets logged in the admin panel (including username) so I'll be able to track that quite easily. <-- makes you think twice before giving me bad karma, don't it? :contract:

T

addict

LOL... good thing you mentioned that... I had my finger on the trigger. ;)

Anyway, thanks again... I appreciate your time.